Universal JObmatch

Options

Comments

• Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    jessex1990 wrote: »
    It's not so much using the jobsearch part of it they want you to be using the activity log to copy and paste the job references or links to stuff you have applied for. Jobcentre staff don't sit there on people's UJM accounts except for just before and during the appointment. As they have other people to see and other stuff to do as well.

They don't see my activity log as I refuse to allow them access.Its also Not practical to log your weekly activity using a 4 inch smartphone if thats what they expect
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    Fund people? Ive paid far more into the benefits system than I have ever taken back. I worked full time for 25 years. Do you know how tough it is for some people on UC?

As for people taking the pee being told to job search 35 hours a week, its mandatory if you are in the all work group on UC. I was told at my first interview that I had to jobsearch 35 hours a week, I certainly dont take the pee, that's the expectation

Some people have waited so long on their rent element theyve lost their home. Ive only been on UC since January but it has not been easy thanks to DWP errors which has led to a knock on effect to my rent and has led to me being threatened with eviction on several occasions.

The dwp also owe me money thanks to their error and Ive been battling to get it back for three months now. Plus the way you can be treated when you are there.

I know how to job search, Ive volunteered on several occasions, Im well qualified.

This is a hard benefit to be on. You arent allowed to leave the country if you are on UC so if you lose your job and have a holiday booked forget it, unless you shut your claim down and start again or take a sanction or have an understanding work coach,

There are people who are on UC and who are self employed who have been sanctioned for taking their kids on holiday and not leaving the country.

And lets not forget that many people on UC actually work. The in work allowance got cut in 2017. Used to be that if you had no kids you could earn 111 a month without getting your benefits affected. Now its nothing, so as soon as you earn a pound, 63 p comes off your benefit.

Its a tough benefit to be on and some people are suffering on it. So for anyone smugly saying I'll fund you or you dont have to jobsearch 35 hours a week, you really do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Ive had two eviction notices, been threatened with a possession of recovery of my home and had several nasty letters in between from my landlord, simply because I get my benefit paid in arrears, thats just part of the issues Ive had, Id be here all night telling you the full story due to the lack of communication on their part causing me significant financial hardship along the way.

I was made to wait the 7 day wait period in error. Ive been battling to get that money for months, but rather than just pay me it theyve closed and re opened my claim on more than one occasion leaving me in arrears because they told my landlord my claim was closed, so my council tax reduction and my dhp stopped. And I still dont have the money

And Ive been spoken to and treated like dirt at appointments, because I havent got an offer of a full time job in the time period it suited the DWP. Ive been on uc five months and been working part time for most of it.

See below for the 35 hours a week jobsearch

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-an-introduction/an-introduction-to-universal-credit

Which is one reason why you shouldn;t allow them access to UJM
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    They don't see my activity log as I refuse to allow them access.Its also Not practical to log your weekly activity using a 4 inch smartphone if thats what they expect

Allowing them access just makes it easier for you to prove that you are looking for work. The jobcentre manager could suspect you aren't doing your job searching and sanction you for it if they don't see that you have been logging on and running searches - even if you don't apply for anything it proves that you looked. Unfortunately it is upto you to prove that you are doing it not them to prove you are not.

Who said anything about smartphones? UJM doesn't even have an app!
  • Stylehutz
    Options
    Allowing them access just makes it easier for you to prove that you are looking for work. The jobcentre manager could suspect you aren't doing your job searching and sanction you for it if they don't see that you have been logging on and running searches - even if you don't apply for anything it proves that you looked. Unfortunately it is upto you to prove that you are doing it not them to prove you are not.

Who said anything about smartphones? UJM doesn't even have an app!

Think you miss the point. Of course it doesnt have an app. If you only have internet access on your phone then its not practical to log all your activity on it.
    Much easier on paper, plus they cant spy on you to see at what times you have been doing your jobsearching.
  • jessex1990
    Options
    Think you miss the point. Of course it doesnt have an app. If you only have internet access on your phone then its not practical to log all your activity on it.
    Much easier on paper, plus they cant spy on you to see at what times you have been doing your jobsearching.

They provide computers for that very purpose so if you don't have a computer or the Internet you can do it there. They don't care what time you do your jobsearches as long as they are done. People have kids to take to school, look after, housework to do - doing your jobsearches at weird times such as 1am isn't unusual.

I hope you don't provide these kind of excuses to your work coaches because it raises eyebrows, it makes me suspect you haven't done it so your work coach could be thinking the same thing. If they don't think you are keeping to that claimant commitment contract they will try to sanction you. I'm just looking at for you.
  • Stylehutz
    edited 21 July 2017 at 5:49PM
    Options
    Uui
    They provide computers for that very purpose so if you don't have a computer or the Internet you can do it there. They don't care what time you do your jobsearches as long as they are done. People have kids to take to school, look after, housework to do - doing your jobsearches at weird times such as 1am isn't unusual.

I hope you don't provide these kind of excuses to your work coaches because it raises eyebrows, it makes me suspect you haven't done it so your work coach could be thinking the same thing. If they don't think you are keeping to that claimant commitment contract they will try to sanction you. I'm just looking at for you.

So they want me to walk 2 miles down to my job centre every day and log my activity on their computers. Not a chance im afraid. They want you to spend 35 hours a week looking for jobs which would be totally soul destroying to most people . Wonder who came up with that bright idea. You dont need to do anything nearly that. By allowing them access to your universal job account they can see how long you are spending doing that.Not having any problems so far they are quite happy with my evidence on paper.
  • jessex1990
    edited 21 July 2017 at 6:15PM
    Options
    Uui

So they want me to walk 2 miles down to my job centre every day and log my activity on their computers. Not a chance im afraid. They want you to spend 35 hours a week looking for jobs which would be totally soul destroying to most people . Wonder who came up with that bright idea. You dont need to do anything nearly that. By allowing them access to your universal job account they can see how long you are spending doing that.Not having any problems so far they are quite happy with my evidence on paper.

You don't have to do it every single day just as long as you put dates in to say which day you did it on. Although someone at my local jobcentre has been made to come in every single day because of excuses similar to yours. You keep coming up with more and more excuses and putting up roadblocks where they need not exist. You might not think there's any problems so far but you aren't privvy to their discussions with the manager in the office. They could have suspicions about you and playing it cool.

However to be constructive:

I agree 35 hours is excessive as is people putting numbers on it when there might not be that many suitable jobs a day. I really do think 10 hours (2 per day excluding weekends) is more than enough - doing one application form properly can be your full requirements providing it is complex enough like a civil service job or a graduate scheme. It is better to do one amazing application rather than ten crappy ones in the same period of time

Also there is no requirement that you have to use jobmatch for that many hours, they are aware other job sites exist such as Reed, indeed, fishajob, guardian etc... Exist and those hours will not be logged unless you do so manually. It's a good way of bolstering your jobsearch along with 'i went to town and looked in the shop windows to see if anyone was advertising' that's at least an hour possibly 2 or 3 depending on how big your town is or if you have a massive shopping centre like bluewater. Reading the newspaper to look for jobs or gaining knowledge of jobs which might be available soon - like new businesses opening up, expanding or moving premises is another good one as well - as it shows initiative by applying for a job before its actually advertised. Another good one is reading newspapers to gain commercial awareness to help you get a job in a specific industry like legal, finance etc....

If you are doing voluntary work somewhere like a charity shop than you can have your expected hours reduced as well as gain some stuff to put on your CV.
  • citizen_kane
    Options
    this is the LAW
    What does the law – the Jobseeker’ Act actually say….
    The duty to actively seek work is not to be found in the job seekers agreement but in S7 of the jobseeker’s Act. S7(1), which provides:

“a person is actively seeking work if he takes in that week such steps as he could reasonably be expected to have to take in order to have the best prospects of securing employment.”

More detail is set out in regulation 18 of the Regulations. Regulation 18(1) provides that:
    “… a person shall be expected to have to take more than two steps in any week unless taking one or two steps is all that is reasonable for that person to do in that week.”
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Looks like UJM is closing. Just noted the following on site message:

'Universal Jobmatch will be replaced by the Find a job service on 14 May 2018.

Important: If you have an existing Universal Jobmatch account it will not move to the new service.

Save any information you want to keep, like your CV, cover letters and application history by 17 June 2018.'
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's being replaced with the 'Find a job service'.
    I remember when they first had the terminals in the JCs. The first version was superb as it allowed job-seekers to search based on such things as accessibilty via public transport.

Then they updated the system and the down hill plunge into what became UJM started.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure