Moving in to new home 2-4 days before completion on old one- how?

Options
2»

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CarolFi wrote: »
    Well that is advice for the vendors and nothing to do with helping me out. Thanks for nothing.
    It's useful for you to know what you can realistically expect the vendors (or lenders) to agree to, surely?

However, if you're going to be so thoroughly ungrateful about our free advice, I'll let you get on with it.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If contracts have been exchanged, the vendor might be prepared to allow you access under licence, but this will not permit you to move in, have building work, decorating etc done.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another option I guess is a short term tennancy agreement with the vendors

I think this is a wonderful idea and all efforts should be put into making it happen.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is unlikely to be allowed for all sorts of reasons mainly legal in that if you gained access to the property without paying any dosh you have an advantage in that you are now a sitting tenant. No mortgage company will agree to hand over money for an asset not yet bought. We recently sold a flat where the new occupiers wanted to do a lot of work before moving in. They put their stuff in storage, stayed initially with their daughter then a hotel until the work was done.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi
    The money we are being paid for our home will be lodged with our solicitor 5 days before completion but obviously is not accessible by us until completion.

That's an unusual situation. Why was completion delayed if this is the case.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    That's an unusual situation. Why was completion delayed if this is the case.

I suspect the OP is referring to the loan funds for their purchase. Doesn't make much sense otherwise.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If the vendor is prepared to help you out in this way and since the risk of completion not happening is mostly theirs, then download a model AST agreement and use that. Don't bother telling your solicitor.[/FONT]
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Thank you ACG. I am not going to be sitting around doing nothing during that period. I have a lot to do to the current house which is why I want to spread the work out a bit.

What on earth need doing to the place you are selling?

is completion dependent on these jobs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport