PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stair carpet cleaning?

Options
My Beige stair carpet is looking really grotty, and I'd like to try cleaning/washing it, but don't know how as I don't have any special gadgets, only an ordinary Henry vacuum cleaner.

Does anyone have any suggestions that doesn't involve a lot of money please?
I Hate Jobsworths!!!

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2015 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Vaxes are quite cheap and last for years if you take care of them. I'm only on my third since 1989:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-6131T-Multivax-Vacuum-Carpet/dp/B0041MI3W0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432661495&sr=8-4&keywords=vax

Edit: One thing I do which no-one mentions is I always rinse the carpet by filling the machine with plain water after I wash it. This stops the carpet attracting more dirt by being sticky.
  • gardener_ruth
    Options
    How about hiring a carpet cleaning machine? You'd only need it for an hour or so.

For a cheaper solution how about spraying on carpet cleaning liquid and then using a brush to gently scrub the carpet? I've done this on some of my stair carpet treads and it does help.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A lot easier if you can remove the stair carpet and spread it out on a flat surface eg drive, then you can run a carpet cleaning machine over it and get into all what used to be the tucks and folds.

Prolongs the life of the carpet if you shift it up/down half a step every few years too, as it evens out the wear.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    Vaxes are quite cheap and last for years if you take care of them. I'm only on my third since 1989:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-6131T-Multivax-Vacuum-Carpet/dp/B0041MI3W0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432661495&sr=8-4&keywords=vax

Edit: One thing I do which no-one mentions is I always rinse the carpet by filling the machine with plain water after I wash it. This stops the carpet attracting more dirt by being sticky.

I was always told that there was no need to `rinse` it as it was specially formulated not to require rinsing?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Options
    janb5 wrote: »
    I was always told that there was no need to `rinse` it as it was specially formulated not to require rinsing?

That's so that lazy people buy the stuff. :)

If you have a carpet that has been washed and not rinsed, go and rinse it, and see how much nicer it feels.
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    hoover first, then just get a hard brush and give it a scrub wit warm water and laundry detergent. (test first)

i use a rubber glove to pick up all the pet hair too.
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,629 Forumite
    Options
    rockm87 wrote: »
    hoover first, then just get a hard brush and give it a scrub wit warm water and laundry detergent. (test first)

i use a rubber glove to pick up all the pet hair too.

That's what I used to do (before DH took over the cleaning;)) probably every 6 weeks or so and then just hoover or brush in between. I always found a stiff hand brush better than any vacuum cleaner for stairs.
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the tips :)
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income