PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Big Penny Jar Problem...

Options
2»

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, they definitely do do it by weight. That's what they did when I paid some in recently and they can tell you if are short in a bag (some 10ps had come loose in mine).

My bank is 5 miles away, so I got my bags from the post office first which is walking distance. I don't have an account there, so don't know if all PO would be accommodating.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Coinstar machines take 9.9% which is a bit steep, imo. NatWest coin machines (have used them several times) count for free, you get a till spit and take it to the cashier and can get notes. You do have to be a customer, tho.

I've never had a problems asking banks for bank bags and they don't seem to object to handling coins as long as it's in round figures and you haven't mixed the coins (so they can check-weigh). If you're not sure that your quantity of coins is exactly correct, you might want to sling a few spares of each demonination into your pocket to top up if necessary.

Just thought I'd mention this but if you come across pre-decimal currency, the banks have to take that back in exchange for contemporary coins. Ditto for outmoded decimal currency like those tiddly half-pennies which went out over thirty years ago *, or the big decimal 5p pieces and 50p pieces. You can have problems with commemorative crowns, though they have value of 25p each, you can't seem to get rid of them at the banks any more.

* I changed £3-worth of these last week for my pal with the junk shop, they'd come in with a house clearance and the bank didn't murmur, although the young cashier had never seen them before and had to ask an older person what they were.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • claireyfairy82
    Options
    If you are going to deposit into your bank check how many bags they will take at a time for a personal account. The Bank of Scotland only takes 5 bags for a personal account but any number for my business account.

Exchanging with a shop owner is a good idea, I do this sometimes as they can be charged by the bank for change.
    JAN - £208.56/£250 NSD-8
    FEB - £121.51/£200 NSD- 1
    Penny a day challenge #001: £200.79/£667.95
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Twopints wrote: »
    Some banks have coin counting machines and do not charge e.g. Nat West. Not sure which branches (High Wycombe has one) but other banks may also offer this. You don't have to bag the change up, or even separate the different coins - just tip it in

Off topic, but sounds like you're local to me :beer:
  • sootypea
    sootypea Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took mine down to the bank. I had to take three trips though from the car to the bank. I bank with Nat west so it was free.
    an GC. £180.00/£300
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Options
    I had a great big whisky bottle full of copper, it had taken me years to fill. I asked the Sally Army lady who collects at our local shops would they like it, but it was to heavy to take. So i gave it to the kids next door. No idea how much was in there.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    This is on my list of things to do between Christmas and New Year - empty the coin jar in the bottom of the wardrobe.

It will be counted, sorted, and taken to the bank. I suspect that there might be old £1 coins in there so its a good reason to get it done.

Of course Kon Marie tells you not to have a coin jar and simply spend your small change and there is probably some sense in that!
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Options
    My neighbour who i gave the whisky bottle to, they told me they'd give their kids the money, but keep all the copper for themselves. They're planning on re-doing the bathroom, and have decided to do a copper coin floor.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JulieM wrote: »
    I've seen suggestions on here to use up the coins gradually in the supermarket self service tills, that way you don't lose a percentage as you would in coin machines.

That is exactly what i do......i go early in the morning to our local large superstore and purchase a few bits (approx £15 worth) and stand there chatting to the staff putting my coins in- the staff are fine provided there arent many people about and no queue . Over the last two days i have purchased some lovely bits and bobs for a christmas day / boxing day breakfast that we couldnt normally afford by using our change jar that my husband fills all year with any loose change he has each night- its amazing how it all adds up :T:T:T
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    I save coppers but only until they reach £3. I dont save them in large quantities anymore.

My local [rural] shop is happy to take coppers & small silver if its bagged and counted. This shop quite often has a sign on the till saying 'change wanted' so its all good.
    So every now and then my 3 kids get a £1 bag of coppers each to spend in the shop, the shop gets a load of change, and I only have a small tin of coppers on the go.

I do save 'fives' though - 50p's and 5p's - much more useful. I never manage to save much because they come in so handy when change is needed E.g - civvies day at school, lunch money, poppy collector etc.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport