PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Tuesday 7th July 2015

Options
O/S Daily Tuesday 7th July 2015

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Birthday wishes to those celebrating a birthday, hope you have a great day x

Hugs and get well wishes to those that want/need them.

Now light, cloudy and overcast and has just started raining. The air feels much more bearable and less humid.

DH up and gone to work stupid early. DS1 now getting ready for work. Will wake DS2 shortly so he can get ready for school.

Dinner last night was smoked sausage and mushroom pasta with crème fraiche sauce. Tonight we’ll be having roast pork chops, mash, carrots, peas and gravy.

Work yesterday was quite manic and busy – but the day flew by. I’m working at the other office today and they were short staffed yesterday so it’s possible today will be as busy. Everyone at work is feeling low and unhappy about the changes that are going to happen, we all know that our time is limited, I think the hardest bit to understand is that we know it’s not a step forward, the most vunerable people are really going to be dumped on and there’s not really any money savings in it as the system they are going to use doesn’t work – and yet they are still insisting on using it! I’m expecting that we’ll be finished within the next 12-18 months, but am hoping that I can make my 20 years’ service – at least I’ll be able to go with the maximum redundancy – desperately hoping they don’t try to con us out of that! I’m fed up with worrying about it, it is what it is, and will be what it will be – if they don’t want to employ me any more then I’ll find someone who does. I’ll go and work somewhere else – it’ll be their loss and it could mean there’s something better round the corner.

Have good Tuesdays’ everyone x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Sorry to read about your work situation nmlc, it can be so disturbing. My fingers are crossed for you.

Rain this morning though the forecast is for fine weather. We'll see.

My hair appointment is at 9.15 then I'll drop off the recylcable stuff at the tip, do some shopping and a bit of banking. I wanted to go across to Arran for the day but won't go if the rain persists.

I'm glad I bothered to mow the lawn yesterday. Must fill the bird feeders before I go out, this lack of summer is not good for them either.

Porridge and later on soup are the planned meals.

I hope the day is good to everyone.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning everyone

gers I fill my bird feeders up in a morning , I love to see the birds feeding , especially now they are feeding their babies :D

Off to work in a few mins just need to finish my breakfast . Cheese sandwich for lunch I also had some watermelon to take but it smells a bit funny :eek:

I need to get in the garden the warm , wet weather has turned it into a jungle . And the grass is going mad even though I cut it last week

hope everyone has a great day xx
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :wave:

It's going to be another warm day today with a bit of rain too. Yesterday's promised deluge never happened thank goodness. Hubby has gone off to work, he wants to apply for a better job with the same company he's working for now. I hope he does as he is getting a bit bored now. Although in this current climate I am just very grateful he still has one. Sorry to hear about your work worries nmlc, hope the situation resolves as painlessly as possible for you and your collegues.

Well yesterday ended up going horribly wrong, DD15 couldn't make it into school due to her panic attacks. She is supposed to have work experience next week but I had to phone the school and cancel it as there was no way she would be able to do it at the moment. She will be going for counselling as a first step in school and we will see how she goes from there.

Next my eldest daughter came round with my grandson. She told me that she was going to see the doctor because of the issues she was having with memories from her childhood. She had to spend a fair bit of time in care as I was a lone parent and was on a psychiatric ward for a very long time. My family refused to help so I had no choice but I feel so guilty and sad that she is still having problems because of it.I just wanted to crawl into a hole once she had gone but them my friend came over and we had a chat about it all. She has the same guilty feelings because of her daughter's mental health. It's so hard sometimes to be a parent and it makes me feel that I was selfish to have my girls when I am ill. Never mind, what's done is done and I am trying to be a good parent to them all.

Finally, to top off a pretty rubbish day I went to my weightwatchers meeting to find I had put on 3lb. I almost cried at the scales but managed to hold it all together and stayed for most of the meeting.

I really hope today is better.

Anyway, that's my tale of woe, hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning everyone, we haven't had much water down but it's gently raining outside and is blissfully cool here, He Who Knows has had to drag me in off the lawn where I was standing enjoying the weather to make his breakfast this morning, and he wanted porridge as it's so much cooler than the last week or so.

I'm using up some of my courgette mountain to make us a moussaka today, I've found a recipe that uses them instead of aubergines (I don't like aubergine!) which sounds very tasty. I'm trying to keep the food soft for a few days to help him with his sore gum from having the tooth out yesterday. Mind he demanded the rest of Sundays apple crumble for pud last night so he can't be too sore can he?

Nothing much planned for today but as the temperature is so pleasant I think I'll give the house a proper top to tailing and tackle the small amount of ironing I have waiting.

Have yourselves a lovely day all, Lyn xxx.
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you Gintot :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Congratulations to your DD elona :T[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hello mrscobden :wave:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scampi now has no lead – just as we reached the field yesterday, he did a manic spin, grabbed the lead and chomped through it, it was left hanging on by a few threads :eek: The slightest pull and it would've snapped. I grabbed his collar (he hates that and does his best to run away while spinning in circles), looped the handle of the lead through it and marched him home. He wasn't impressed with such a short walk, he didn't even beg for my yogurt pot when I'd finished eating, he just sat on his chair and huffed a lot, lol. That's the second lead he's gone through, I've got a chain and some clips in the shed so I'm going to make one :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Dyson is no longer under attack on so I can get all housework done early :dance: It was a pain having to start doing it at 7pm when mr tru's out with him, especially when I've got plenty of time during the day.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I left the fridge freezer on in the end, there was no way I could fit any of the food in the other freezer. I scraped all the ice out and put the food back in. I turned it off this morning. The fridge stuff is in the sink, surrounded by ice packs. They're going to text when they're nearby so I'll pull the freezers drawers out then. AARRGGHHHH, THAT'S ANNOYING – while typing this I checked my email and one's just arrived – delivery is between 5.30pm and 7.30pm. I'll turn the thing back on and put the food back in the fridge :D I've taken the shelves out, think I'll just pile the food into two washing up bowls and shove it back in like that, lol.
    [/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • tired_mum
    tired_mum Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning all
    Have been reading but only now feel that i can join back in
    Nmic sorry to hear about your work situation
    Dumpling hugs to you
    Tru our dog used to munch his lead so now he has to wear a harness that stopped his games
    I need to get my mojo back i made a mistake at work and am on gardening leave at present with the disciplinary due next week just waiting for the date I have to say i am not unhappy to be off as i was feeling very low whilst there . I have plenty to look forward to and feel much calmer than i did but obviously our finances will be considerably affected
    Right onwards and upwards Xxx
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dull morning here and looks as if it might rain. Middle dd off to work and can't hear youngest yet.

Came downstairs around eight and realised the wheelie bins were not out :eek: so shot out and dragged them (over gravel - such fun) to the pavement outside. Also emptied kitchen bin and shoved a couple more bins bags in the wheelies then put hot water and bleach in the kitchen bin.

Felt I deserved some tea so took a tray upstairs and browsing on here while I take my meds etc. Need to go to the bank this morning
    and will pop into shop for salad and something to go with it for a quick evening meal. Should be just the two of us as youngest is going away till Saturday.

nmic

I am so sorry about the job uncertainty and am mentally crossing my fingers. It must be so much worse when you know it won't work and can see it heading for a cliff.

Dumpling

I know it feels awful when the scales go up but usually it is just a fluid balance blip and can go back by the next week, honest. I have been on more diets than you can shake a stick at (some of them should have been introduced to a sharp stick ;) )

I lost nearly three stone last year and was so happy but through various health related circs with DH and one of my Dds I lost focus completely and put well over two stone back on. DD graduates in a fortnight and in the last three weeks I have lost six pounds and hope to lose a couple more. It is far from ideal but magic knickers and a slimming dress will work wonders I hope.
    Dds love a black dress I got from j**t l*st seas** which someone on here suggested and looks very expensive but I got it half price in their sale and they were already a lot cheaper than the retail price.

I know that if I try to be too strict with myself I lose the plot and seesaw wildly so just weigh myself every week, have a small breakfast and lunch and an evening meal from the HB diet books which are tasty and filling and dds love them and can't believe it is "diet". One of their friends came round and enjoyed the tarragon chicken with sweet potato fries so much she convinced her mum to make it for her yesterday. I try to always have fruit around so I can pick at something healthy. Try not to pressure yourself and if you can feel you are treating yourself by putting healthy food into your system instead of feeling "punished" then that helps a lot.

Sorry about the long essay.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wave to tired mum :wave: and hope the gardening leave turns out to be a blessing in disguise as it will give you a chance to think and gather your strength. Virtual hug and crossing fingers for you.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all,

Reading the above posts is quite saddening. So many people with work and personal problems, still I suppose the majority of us are in the same boat aren't we?

DS2 came home yesterday and said he wasn't going to do the 2nd year at College, not unexpected really, his attendance has been brilliant but he hasn't been motivated enough to do any work outside of College. He says he wants an apprenticeship or a job. I do wonder though as although he is very bright and capable he is lazy too!
    DS1 is being made redundant - he knew it was inevitable but the company keep changing things around. DD's company was taken over but that has been positive for her as she now has a higher role due to start next week. I'm disenchanted at work too as they changed our timings (after lots of years of asking), which has been working great and now they want to change back, which didn't work very well. We are told it's for one reason when we know full well it is a financial thing. Just hate being lied to.

Anyway Dumpling you did the best thing you could for your DD back then and I am sure her being able to talk to someone will help. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Sausage, beans and mash for dinner tonight at DH's request.

Have a good day all :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport