Bankruptcy and new partner??

Options
I'm trying to go through the MAP route but if I'm not awarded I'll have to consider the standard route. I'm off work long term at the moment because of crohns disease so I'm aware I wouldn't be expected to pay anything at the moment as I have no disposal money...however me & my boyfriend are thinking of moving in together towards the end of the year so I'm wondering if they would expect him to make regular payments? I accrued all of my debt before I even met him.
Any advice greatly appreciated,
L

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

We move posts if we think they will get more help elsewhere, so I have moved your post to the "bankrupcy and living with it" board.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • chev_chelios
    Options
    I started dating someone 3 months after she went BK. we've moved in together at my place 6 months later.

I cannot remember the specifics, but I have never been asked to pay anything. I think that the "trick" is to keep your finances separate, ie. you do not pay for anything other than your share of the bills and he doesn't support you financially.

Hope this helps.
  • Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You have my every sympathy with the Crohn's, hope you can get into remission soon.

In the meantime the good news is your boyfriend will not, under any circumstances, be required to contribute anything. Your debts are not his.

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure