product fee

Options
what is the benefit of paying the product fee on a mortgage?

we have settled on a remortgage on a 2 year fix and below are the comparisons

£408.81 for 2 years with £999 product fee
£421.70 with no fee
This means over the 2 years it only an extra cost of £309.36 at which point we would look to remortgage.

This makes the product fee an excess payment really but they must offer it for a reason? It makes sense for us not to pay it but am I missing something? I would like to have opinions if making this payments is worthwhile at all?
Thank you.

Comments

• glosoli
    glosoli Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sometimes it's simply better not to pay a fee, and other times it is better to pay the fee. Big factors include the term of the mortgage itself, the size of the mortgage, the length of the fixed rate, etc.
  • Lilla_D
    Lilla_D Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    While glosoli is correct, I hope a little extra explanation is ok.

In your case the difference in monthly payment is small and thus the higher rate with no fee makes sense. However, if someone has a bigger mortgage amount and/or a different mortgage term, the difference in the monthly payment may be way more than just £13 per month. If they have a difference of £130 pm, then the lower rate deal may make more sense for them. So this is what you were missing, not a catch with the deal itself :)
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    what is the benefit of paying the product fee on a mortgage?

we have settled on a remortgage on a 2 year fix and below are the comparisons

£408.81 for 2 years with £999 product fee
    £421.70 with no fee
    This means over the 2 years it only an extra cost of £309.36 at which point we would look to remortgage.

This makes the product fee an excess payment really but they must offer it for a reason? It makes sense for us not to pay it but am I missing something? I would like to have opinions if making this payments is worthwhile at all?
    Thank you.

That's the big mistake many make you CANNOT just look at the difference in payment.

On the lower rate you pay off more debt.

but as you have missed off the critical information on the deals, rate and the amount you want to borrow it is not possible to work yours out.

so as an example.

£100k over 25years with 2y fix rates 2.53% £999 fee and 2.78% no fee

£100k @ 2.78% £463pm after 2 years £94298
    £100k @ 2.53% £450pm after 2 years £94119

Difference in payments £312 less £999 net down £687

Difference in amount owing £179

Total saving £389. but £999 fee so net down £610

but there is the fee to consider add those to make the starting point the same.

£100,000 @ 2.78% £463pm after 2 years £94298
    £100,999 @ 2.53% £455pm after 2 years £95047

Difference in payment £192 but we have accounted for the fee in the amount owing -£749 net is £557

next make the payment the same so the only difference over the 2 years is the difference at the end.

£100,000 @ 2.78% £463pm after 2 years £94298
    £100,999 @ 2.53% £463pm after 2 years £94850

The real difference is down £552.

just accounting for the difference in payment was down £687

the other quick way to do a check is to just use the rates £100k * ( 0.0278 - 0.0253) * 2 = £500 less than the fee so not worth it if it was more than the fee then the full check is worth doing.

(these are based on ideal situations in the real world the differences are slightly different due to timings and a bit of rounding but are going to be within £10 so it is only when the calculations most of the time it will be clear that fee or no fee is better.)
  • logie48
    logie48 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking at your calc; would you not add the difference in payments to the difference in amounts owed, to work out total saving?

i.e. 312 + 179 = 491
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport