PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

mini tumble dryer or dehumidifier?

Options
I've had a mini tumble dryer for ten years but it's now not working properly - one of the heating elements isn't working, so the low setting is now warmer than the high setting. Which means it takes ages to dry DS2's waterproof sheet so I can get one back on his bed after wet beds two nights in a row...

I don't want a bigger dryer as they take up more room than I have. So I'm thinking, would I be better off with a dehumidifier instead of a replacement mini dryer?

when I run the dryer, the hose has to go out the back door, making the kitchen cold/or wet. But when it was working properly, I could get a full load of sheets dried in 2 hours (3 dryer loads), & 2 full washer loads of school uniform etc dried on a wet Sunday afternoon between lunch & dinner.

But with a dehumidifier, I could leave it running while the back door was closed, thus meaning I could go out if I wanted to?

Of course, tumble dryers use lots of electricity - long term, running costs are more important than initial purchase - any money for Christmas can go towards the purchase!
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.

Comments

• carrielovesfanta
    Options
    I swear by my dehumidifier. Keeps the house warm and dry and definitely helps to dry the washing
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Our DD lives in a flat with no outside drying space and she bought an Ar*os own brand dehumidifier and swears by it. It cost £99 and is small enough to be moved from room to room with very little effort and is very effective. I know they still cost to run, but I m sure not as much as a TD.

Candlelightx
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 December 2014 at 12:03PM
    Options
    dehumidifier for us - much cheaper to run and can use it if no washing to dry as well. ours has a dry clothes function (2 heats) which is great but is does take longer than a tumble dryer. I think less wear and tear on clothes too and will dry things that you are not meant to tumble dry. Also can carry it around from room to room to suit. It warms the room its in and one of my cats loves sitting near it. Not sure about leaving it on when out, I am very cautious like that and wouldn't but I do leave a slow cooker on.

ps the filter needs regular cleaning (very quick to do) just as tumble driers do. oh and dehumidifiers take up less room - do I love mine? oh yes!!
  • OurLass
    OurLass Posts: 253 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, Now I know what to get dear son for Christmas! xx
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmm. My tenants still managed to make their flat damp by drying clothes indoors in spite of having my dehumidifier there.

How about a washer dryer? These are in most of my rentals, and what I use at home.
  • Finefoot
    Finefoot Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    What about a condenser dryer? It can be put anywhere.
    Loving the sunny days!
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    never heard of a dehumidifier what's it like??
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    dehumidifier for us - much cheaper to run and can use it if no washing to dry as well. ours has a dry clothes function (2 heats) which is great but is does take longer than a tumble dryer. I think less wear and tear on clothes too and will dry things that you are not meant to tumble dry. Also can carry it around from room to room to suit. It warms the room its in and one of my cats loves sitting near it. Not sure about leaving it on when out, I am very cautious like that and wouldn't but I do leave a slow cooker on.

ps the filter needs regular cleaning (very quick to do) just as tumble driers do. oh and dehumidifiers take up less room - do I love mine? oh yes!!

Such as waterproof sheets? :D

Yes, I thought after I posted this morning, 'Leaving it on while you go out probably isn't the best idea...' I was more thinking 'I could have the dehumidifier on downstairs while I was having a shower upstairs/putting DS2 to bed/popping to the corner shop leaving the boys in the house', none of which I do at the moment.
    jk0 wrote: »
    Hmm. My tenants still managed to make their flat damp by drying clothes indoors in spite of having my dehumidifier there.

How about a washer dryer? These are in most of my rentals, and what I use at home.

But did they use the dehumidifier...? ;)

I thought about a washer dryer, but -
    a) the washing machine is still in good working order but nearly 12 years old, so I wouldn't get much if I tried selling it, and a good washer dryer would cost more than a compact dryer or a dehumidifer;
    b) I've got a washer dryer at work and it's not as efficient at drying stuff as my mini tumble dryer;
    c) on the days when I have eighty-six thousand loads of washing mainly caused by DS2 wetting the bed and creating 3 washing machine loads and aided by school/work uniform being needed, I would be tying up the machine for ever to get each load done, whereas with separate machines, I can have a load in each.
    Finefoot wrote: »
    What about a condenser dryer? It can be put anywhere.

How easy are they to move around though? The bedrooms and bathroom are too small/full of existing furniture, so it would have to be in the kitchen (or the living room, and there's not really room there either), but due to the fun layout of the house, I could either plug it in where the table is, or where the existing compact dryer lives, in front of the radiator. The compact dryer overlaps the radiator by about 6 inches and is small enough to pull well forward of the rad, maximising the warm air circulation. A full size dryer would block more of the rad and extend further into the room.

Thinking about it more, with savingqueen pointing out that the dehumifiers can be moved about the house easily, that's what I need, because then I can put it in DS2's bedroom to dry off his mattress as well... And of course any other room that needs it.

Thank you everyone for your help :)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure