HELP! Have cut back all I can but am still over-spending!

Options

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    Before buying anything consider do you WANT it or NEED it?

Print this out and stick it inside your purse :D
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • kitschkitty
    kitschkitty Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My kids are aged 12 and 9

No contents insurance. Over the years we have saved a fortune. We have been burgled just once - they stole my parrot. You can't replace that. No fires, no floods (not on a floodplain) and in a safe area. If I had the spare money I probably would get contents insurance but we've never needed it and yes we might have a huge fall, then again we might not. The worst that could happen is that the house burns down, with 2 non-smokers and everything turned off at night + 2 smoke alarms this is unlikely.

A smoke alarm doesn't stop a fire, it gives you time to get out before you die in your sleep from smoke inhalation (and your house burns down).

I assume you live in a detached home then, and that you live somewhere with no local wildlife such as squirrels or mice, and you live on a private road.

It truly amazes me that people underestimate the cost (never mind the stress) you would face if your entire home did burn down.

We don't own any hugely valuable items, and are on a much lower income than you yet I have always made sure that my budget covers contents insurance as just adding up the value of our contents, from furniture, to clothes, to DVDs and everything else was much, much more than I would ever have envisioned.

If I had kids I would find it even more important, because if the worst did happen I couldn't imagine the kids being faced with no home, no clothes no toys & no money to replace them.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    A smoke alarm doesn't stop a fire, it gives you time to get out before you die in your sleep from smoke inhalation (and your house burns down).

I assume you live in a detached home then, and that you live somewhere with no local wildlife such as squirrels or mice, and you live on a private road.

It truly amazes me that people underestimate the cost (never mind the stress) you would face if your entire home did burn down.

We don't own any hugely valuable items, and are on a much lower income than you yet I have always made sure that my budget covers contents insurance as just adding up the value of our contents, from furniture, to clothes, to DVDs and everything else was much, much more than I would ever have envisioned.

If I had kids I would find it even more important, because if the worst did happen I couldn't imagine the kids being faced with no home, no clothes no toys & no money to replace them.

Or your boiler explodes. Or the joint in a water pipe goes. Or a pipe freezes. Or a plastic valve on your toilet cistern goes. All of which can cause a significant flood in a very short space of time and take your belongings with it.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • jetbag
    jetbag Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    I have just renewed our house Insurance. I purchased buildings only insurance and got £75000. contents cover for FREE.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My income is around the same as yours and i save a minium of £1000 a month, yet you seem to feel if you cut things out you'll miss out.

Like you i allow £25 a month for days out but thats it no shopping from home, no drinks in or out. Drinks in our opinion are for special ocassions and even then usually come from meal deals or lidl.

We spend £200 a month of food most month but i have a serious overbuying problem so my mission for the start of this year is the thin things down, i'm limiting myself to £40 for the month which really only covers milk, fruit and veg and using the many thing i have in up, if your spending £650 i'd be willing to bet money you have tons of food in.

With regaurds to your kids socks, i'd buy your daughter several pairs at once then tell her you won't be buying anymore until sep if she loses them she replaces them from her pocket money.I would suggest stop buying your son asda socks and switch to something better, i buy my kids m&s ones they last much better.

I think giving pocket money to teens is acually a good idea if it teachs them to value things and money.

As for walks howabout a thermos of soup/hot chocolate.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • happy2share
    happy2share Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 7 February 2013 at 7:25PM
    Options
    do a money management course. CAP run them in most area's and their money coaches will even come to the house, work out a manageable budget and stay with you, weekly visit if ness, until you are back on track. meanwhile sandwich fillers are expensive, if yr cooking a meal at night something simple will do for lunch - or home made fillers. my kids used to swap homemade cakes for chocolate bars at school - I didn't know then but prob not allowed now anyway! do you have a garden? can you grow the more expensive stuff? I buy out of date pots of herbs, plant them up and they last all season - i still have a massive pot of parsley outside my back door, still lovely and fresh even thro all the snow and ice! can you record a film instead of a hiring a DVD - or join/start a film club - it's a night out as well and many are free. but I have to agree that wine and beer does run away with the money, it only takes one brave person to buck the trend and start a new one - try it for a bit, don't apologize or feel hard done by make lifestyle choices that work for you.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    is this thread a wind up....op do what u always have and u will get what u have always had....some excellent advice as always
    onwards and upwards
  • mrsd
    mrsd Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Not had a chance to read through all the posts, but if you are getting child tax credit and NOT working tax credit, can you get free school dinners? if you are eligible you could also be entitled to a uniform grant for your children too. To find out go on your local authority website (whicherver deal with local schooling), its easy to apply and you get a response in minutes.
    Thoughts to all. Mrs D.
    Grocery challenge £52/£150 for June.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mrsd wrote: »
    Not had a chance to read through all the posts, but if you are getting child tax credit and NOT working tax credit, can you get free school dinners? if you are eligible you could also be entitled to a uniform grant for your children too. To find out go on your local authority website (whicherver deal with local schooling), its easy to apply and you get a response in minutes.

You only get free school meals when you are on income support. Child tax credit and working tax credit doesn't count.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As you've now had lots of input from the Old Stylers, I have moved your thread over to the Debt-Free Wannabe board to see if you can get some more advice there.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport