Traveling to nottingham once a week

Options
Hi All,

My partner is off to university in September, she is going to be staying in the student halls at Nottingham Trent this is around two hours away from our home in Shrewsbury.

I cant decide on what is the best way to travel to go and visit her on the weekends. I will be travelling up on the Friday afternoon (16:00 - 17:00ish) and returning the sunday afternoon around the same time.

So far I have two options: Take the train from Shrewsbury to Nottingham (return) with a 16-25 railcard and pay £25.90 - train times vary from 2.5 hours to 4 hours.

Or I am fairly confident I could drive there for around the same cost in fuel and park at the Phoenix Park & Ride (Free overnight and daytime parking) and get the tram for a couple of quid into the centre obviously this option has more flexibility.

Just wondered if anyone could advise what they thought the best option was and if they would leave there car overnight at the park and ride or if there is a cheaper way to travel there.

Thanks,

Cam

Comments

• Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I wouldn't risk leaving your car at the park and ride. I would get the train..
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    For the price of the return Id just go with that.

However if you knwo for sure which weekend you are visiting you may be able to split the tickets you use into smaller chunks and save money try using a site like this one http://www.raileasy.co.uk/home/split-ticket but when checking them do not use the links of the 3rd party retailer as they may include fees for using the card. And always use your railcard.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure