Confiscated Scottish bus pass

Options
Ok short as I can, my bus pass was due to run out a few days before end of March so back in Feb reapplied, last weekend card stopped working and bus driver confiscated it and refused to give me a temporary one so I had to pay.

Contacted the card issuer to be told new card was sent a week before (it hadn't arrived due to no post due to snow) but confirmed bus pass should not of been confiscated and a temp one should of been issued.

Contacted bus company who claimed its per the terms of the card that if it is cancelled they have to confiscate it and as it is cancelled they don't need to issue a temporary one.

I can't find anything to this effect on the official website will post what it says to get peoples opinions
If the electronic ticket machine did not recognise your card it may have expired or be damaged. If this is the case, please contact your Local Authority immediately to arrange a new card. The card will be dispatched as soon as possible and should be received within 7 days.

If the card appears to be valid but does not work on the machine, the driver will give you the option to pay the full fare and keep your card or hand over your card in exchange for a seven day temporary pass. The temporary pass will be valid for free travel for you but the companion element will not be available. You should then contact your Local Authority immediately to request a new card. The card will be dispatched as soon as possible and should be received within 7 days.

Confusing wording to me, because my card came up with a error code which means it recognised the card but gave an error, but a error would automatically mean a card isn't valid but either way it doesnt say the driver has the right to confiscate the card and refuse to give it back.

Wanted some opinions as the bus company is refusing to refund for the bus ticket I had to purchase!

Comments

• dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    What you have quoted only applies to in date seemingly valid cards.
    You missed this bit Your card was not valid as it had expired so you were not entitled to travel free. If the card was still in date then you would have been given a temp card.

It was in date, expired seems to be the tricky part as the card issuer didn't say it was expired and explained the error code means I am meant to be issued a temp one so the actual card issuers told me I should of got it its the bus company that is changing mind.

Had it been a case where I was given the option of paying or getting off the bus I would of gotten off the bus he took it and didn't give me it back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure