Get ready for a Conservative/DUP coalition

qwert_yuiop
qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Well, don't, although it's been a very strange night.

Nigel Dodds as chancellor? Gregory Campbell in defence?

Something wrong when only hotheads win on both sides.

Round here is a prime example - the eloquent, intelligent and accomplished Doug Beattie is rejected in favour of the invisible man, David Simpson. Has anyone ever heard him speak? An mp who's never on the radio for anything. How's that work?
Or an mp who doesn't go to parliament, so no representative for the catholic population in Westminster. That can't be right.

Incomprehensible.
“What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The Daily Mail are going for the Scottish Tories to keep the Tory minority in power.

Welcome to Northern Ireland, the people are lunatics(a few sensible ones, but we keep the out of the way) and the music keeps playing.:D
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Well, don't, although it's been a very strange night.

Nigel Dodds as chancellor? Gregory Campbell in defence?

Something wrong when only hotheads win on both sides.

Round here is a prime example - the eloquent, intelligent and accomplished Doug Beattie is rejected in favour of the invisible man, David Simpson. Has anyone ever heard him speak? An mp who's never on the radio for anything. How's that work?
    Or an mp who doesn't go to parliament, so no representative for the catholic population in Westminster. That can't be right.

Incomprehensible.

Completely unfair and inaccurate analysis. The DUP on the ground have a track record of getting things done, Simpson is a prime example of this. The audit done on Jim Shannon secured his membership of the MP club for as long as he wishes.

It's Doug Beattie who is invisible and at times workshy although I will concede he is a good public speaker.

Incidentally I don't always agree with the DUP on social issues but to say they are invisible on the ground is deceptive and suggesting their voters are ignoramuses.
  • dsab
    dsab Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I am saying this as a foreigner... but I still can't get my head around the fact that people vote for people who refuse to take their seats and thereby do work for the good of the people who voted for them. Completely baffles me.

IMO SF could achieve much more by taking their seats and ensuring a future for the younger voters who largely care very little for what happened 30/40/50 years ago.
  • Cotta
    dsab wrote: »
    I am saying this as a foreigner... but I still can't get my head around the fact that people vote for people who refuse to take their seats and thereby do work for the good of the people who voted for them. Completely baffles me.

IMO SF could achieve much more by taking their seats and ensuring a future for the younger voters who largely care very little for what happened 30/40/50 years ago.

I think it would be electoral suicide if they took their seats, it's part of the reason why the SDLP have been wiped out - SF used this stick to severely beat them.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well this is their rare, if not only, chance to influence things, and they're not taking it.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Cotta
    Well this is their rare, if not only, chance to influence things, and they're not taking it.

They're forming a coalition and will be able to bring a positive influence for NI.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This ultimately weakens SF, which may not be a bad thing, as !!!! might start getting done now..
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Make a coalition with a party of racist, sexist, homophobic, sectarian religious fundamentalists. What could possibly go wrong!
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Zola. wrote: »
    This ultimately weakens SF, which may not be a bad thing, as !!!! might start getting done now..

I honestly can't see how. It has weakened the moderates significantly but if anything SF will be rubbing there hands at the result. They were never going to take their seat. They'll see it as sitting back and letting the DUP face the inevitable massive media scrutiny. It also raises some significant constitutional issues with the DUP holding up a government. The UK government role as honest broker will be called into question.

I think we can look forward to yet another election within 6 months. Great to shine a light on the crazy NI politics though. My social media feeds have been buzzing about homophobia, creationism, womans rights, terrorist endorsement and corruption. English people who were happy to let us mess around in the NI zoo are taking an interest. That can only be good.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    Make a coalition with a party of racist, sexist, homophobic, sectarian religious fundamentalists. What could possibly go wrong!

That's DUP/UDA in a nutshell. Expect to see Lord Robinson honour announced in the next honours list. The UK press will have a field day with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure