'House Prices: Would you prefer them to rise or fall?' poll results/discussion

Options

Comments

• Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    bakkah wrote: »
    A crash wont be great for the economy but when you build an economy on debt what do you expect. The price rises of recent years were always a ticking time bomb/bubble, the sooner it passes the easier it will be on the economy, the longer its left the worse the fall out will be.
    quote]

Isn't that exactly the point? Putting people into negative equity rapidly will cause ENORMOUS problems - particularly in an economic slow-down.

Find it almost unbelievable that so many people support a sudden crash.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    Not particulary bothered, I buy as house to live in!
  • bakkah
    bakkah Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Tozer wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly the point? Putting people into negative equity rapidly will cause ENORMOUS problems - particularly in an economic slow-down.

Find it almost unbelievable that so many people support a sudden crash.

It is going to happen regardless of people supporting it or not and if easy credit continued for much longer the bomb/bubble would have gotten bigger making a fallout even worse. Got to break some eggs to make an omelet, few eggs now vs lots of eggs in the future. Really if you don't support a drop your supporting the death of hope and subjecting all future generations to debt slavery, I find it unbelievable that anyone would own up to supporting that.

And im a homeowner, its not sour grapes, would happily mine worth 50% less tomorrow and have a future for our country and children.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    [10752853]

And im a homeowner, its not sour grapes, would happily mine worth 50% less tomorrow and have a future for our country and children.

I don't think many would agree with you! :rotfl:
  • djdaface
    djdaface Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    25% sharp drop would suit me down to the ground, any more would have too many ramifications that would come back to haunt me.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    B for purely personal reasons... my house is my home and I wouldn't go back to renting now whatever happened, however I would like to retain enough equity to be able to remortgage onto a good rate when my current deal ends. I'm not advocating a silly boom, just a steady rise roughly in line with inflation.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • teddyco
    teddyco Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This government would be wise to stop taxing folks on their savings, restore the tax breaks for pensions, and make ISA's more profitable.

I don't know where this atmosphere of 'punish thy neighbor' has come from in this country, but we need to change it.

I would also like to see the banks offer more 30 year, fixed rate, mortgages without early payment penalties like they have in the USA.
    Folks are playing Russian Roulette with variable rate mortgages.
  • jh71283
    jh71283 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    For all those saying they want a large drop etc so that their kids can afford houses....

What about those of us who have worked hard to be able to buy at the current price levels?

Or is it more a case of 'I'm Alright Jack...'
  • janbanan
    janbanan Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    I do have sympathy for those who bought just before the decline and I know that many didn't have choice.... But why would a first time buyer support high house prices in order to save those who took great risks buying over priced property, when it was they who pushed up house prices beyond reason and, though not intentionally, prevented a large portion of our society from buying their own home?
  • PhilDS
    PhilDS Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    moggylover wrote: »
    I see this silly comment about taxes paying for people to live in association/council accomodation all the time - and it makes me quite angry!

I was merely making the point that if someone has a house on the social then they shouldn't be allowed to buy another one and rent it out. How can anyone disagree with that?

On another point...not all tennents in social housing pay high rents, or indeed rents that come anywhere near reflecting market conditions. Who makes up that deficit? The tax payer (one way or another).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure