Advice please about pitfalls when renting.

Options
Despite my user name I am not quite loaded enough to buy a property, or at least I would rather rent somewhere and watch the housing market for a while.

My main three concerns when renting are: 1) What steps (apart from returning the property and inventory in good condition and getting a written receipt for my deposit) can I take to ensure that my deposit is returned to me at the end of the contract. Also some letting agents show properties for rent as "property bonded". I assume this means that the deposit required is greater than the usual month or so?

2) How can I check that the letting agents are reputable and therefore won't go out of business or not correctly pass on my payments to the landlord/lady.

3)Being very paranoid, are/should the letting agent be required to demonstrate that they are indeed authorised to let the property by its rightful owner.

I have some general concerns mainly because I am going to rent somewhere in the £1000-£1250/month price range. Also I have noticed that compared to 3 or 4 years ago there are many more letting agents around, many of these look quite small time operations which makes me a bit more nervous about parting with 2 to 3 grand up front..

I realise that some of you on this section of the forum may be landlords/ladies rather than renters but all advice on the above and any other issues I should consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport