Worst Interview Experiences/Questions?!

Options

Comments

• saterkey
    saterkey Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    perhaps the period question, would establish whether you were pregnant or not??

ive had one who talked at me and asked me no questions at all till the end, id gone to sleep by then.

One asked tell me exactly what you do when you walk through the door first thing in the morning into the workplace, in minute details ie take coat off etc, i think she was waiting to see how long it would be before id put kettle on!!

Ive had a test for an interview with two people arguing at tops of voices over me.

An audio tape to recite back of which i could nt hear a word they said.....

Three words to describe yourself, i stated three words that sounded more for a dating agency than a job interview..... well i was nervous....

im sure there were a few more but cant think of them at the mo.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the one I hate is how would your colleagues describe you
  • tiernsee
    tiernsee Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If you open a fridge door does the room get colder or hotter?

I think, the answer was overall the temperature in the room would rise as although the cold air would spill out from the front, the cooling fins at the back would generate heat to counteract this, overall the heat generated would be greater. Mind you I didn't get the post so maybe this answer was completely wrong!
  • Old_No.7
    Options
    Mine was (by a HR person): If you could invent a machine, any machine, what would it be?

It was for an PA job at an investment bank: couldn't make any sense of what she wanted to get out of that one. I still haven't come up with a good answer for it, 15 years on!

I hate the "where do you see yourself in 5 years time" question. The answer is too depressing if you want the job. :D
  • emilyteach1
    Options
    [Oxbridge entrance exams]

A great read...

This confirms to me why so many Oxbridge folk are seen as eccentric as well as [obviously] intelligent. Some of those questions would be best answered by absolute nutters, regardless of intelligence ;)
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    Old_No.7 wrote: »
    Mine was (by a HR person): If you could invent a machine, any machine, what would it be?

It was for an PA job at an investment bank: couldn't make any sense of what she wanted to get out of that one. I still haven't come up with a good answer for it, 15 years on!

I hate the "where do you see yourself in 5 years time" question. The answer is too depressing if you want the job. :D

Completely agree. I think they expect you to say "Oh I will still be working for your company in 5 years time and by the way I am not after your job". No disregard whatsoever that you could be out of the door in less then 6 months time due to the economical climate.
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got asked the "where do you see yourself being in 5 years time?" question when I was being interviewed for a temporary Christmas job.:huh::huh:
    Well, not here obviously.....
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've had a few cringeworthy interview experiences.

One for a saturday job in a shoe shop

'So why do you want to sell shoes?'

Me ' Errr I don't I just need a saturday job.....but shoes are important'!! :o

Another one was...

'So what does the term Equal Opportunities mean to you?'

' Err the term Equal Opportunities means that people are given the opprotunity to be equal'

That's it....there was a long pause, some expectant looks but I was finished speaking, I had no more to say so waited for the next question.

Another interview another job

'Can you describe a situation which was difficult for you, how you managed and what you would do differently'?'

Off I plunged, started talking about an extremely upsetting event in my life, completely lost it after the whole wavery, high pitched, wobbly voice, I was in tears, one of the interviewers was in tears, they kept asking if I needed some time out but for some unknown I kept declining and carried on despite the tears, the snot, everything.

Got through and amazingly was offered the job....I declined.:D
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • loopyloo1965
    Options
    Personally i wasn't asked this - and having been in the interview chair a number of times I am curious - but at the last interview I went for apparently the other interviewees were asked
    'what animal would you be?'.
    I'm interested to know why an interview chair would ask that.......and more curious to know why I wasn't asked the same when most others were?
    PS I was successful for the job - but when I arrived for my first day I was informed the job no longer existed due to a 'post interview admin restructure'......I'm hopeful readers will understand why I remain confused?
  • missdee85
    Options
    I went for an interview for my dream job and to be honest i have never done a better interview in all my life - the guy interviewing me had given me all the signs that i was going to be offered the job including things like i will call you tomorrow after i have seen the final candidates its only fair i see them before offering you the job and many other things which he said. And no it wasn't just to please me, at the start of the interview he had been very cold and stand off-ish towards me but by the end of it we were chatting away quite happily.

Then - he took me around to meet the rest of the time i was quite happy to do this and did so, everyone was really nice until he introduced me to a sales man who worked for them also he shook my hand smiled and said well aren't you looking perky!! I didn't know what to say i just clamed up as the only time i have ever heard that word used is when its being used to describe a certain area of the female body.

I have no idea still if he meant it in that way i hope not as i wasn't there to look "perky" after a good 30 seconds of awkward silence i smiled and said thank you its nice to meet you!! Of all things i could have said why that?? Now i wish i just asked him what the blooming heck he meant by that cos it has stumped me and my family and OH.

I have been asked the 5 years thing when i went for an interview to get on to a college course i answered that i didn't know as i was 16 and 5 years would cover quite a substantial amount of time of my adult progress - it was honest probably wasn't what they wanted or expected to hear but i got on the course anyway!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure