Comments

• redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    advertising is not allowed on MSE. Post by tasha7490 reported
  • Sportinguista
    Options
    This bears updating for all would be freelancers. I've done quite a bit of work on PPH over the past 3 years and have clients which started off on there. I also work with other freelancers who started off there as well.

When I started off it was competitive but a good UK freelancer could still get work, it's since become far harder and that's not just due to the level of competition but more the quality of buyer using the service. In fact there are several issues:

1. It has now become dominated by sellers from low wage economies some of whom may be great but some are not - one of my fellow freelancers spends her time often sorting out the mess made by some of these freelancers. The quality in my own field - design is being seriously diluted buy some of these 2.

2. The better clients seem to be leaving the site as quality in design and other areas is moving elsewhere.

3. There is a lot of fake work and I suspect some freelancers are even using the work of better freelancers to bid.

4. Some South Asian freelancers are now using fake UK IPs and listing themselves as being UK based as buyers have started asking for UK only freelancers.

5. I've not had a problem with payments yet but I do know that a lot of freelancers and buyers have and it does seem to be increasing.

6. Looking on PPH at individual jobs freelancers from India and Pakistan now dominate and I suspect they are not necessarily individuals but 'farms' of people which are being paid as a group.

Is it worth it for the UK freelancer? As a main source of income. No.

It may yet start to work better but they may have to get a hold on a few things:

1. Fraudulent behaviour and plaigarism.

2. Think about introducing regionality so it can work for freelancers in the UK.

3. Be about quality.

Until then I can see an end where the site becomes about outsourcing to India and someone comes in with a better place to pick up freelance work in the UK.
  • Emma851
    Emma851 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I think the competition is becoming a bit too fierce, because of people accepting very low wages.
  • Sez_Sound
    Options
    Thanks for your update, I've just submitted my application to PPH as a 'seller', i.e. Freelancer. Having had my time wasted on Freelancer.com I was hoping I PPH would be a better platform. Based on your update it looks like it is going down the same path as Freelancer.com, which is sad.

I"m begining to wonder if there are any sites out there for Freelancers and clients to find each other without being fleeced or undercut by cheap bids and incompetent work. :(
  • iamBen
    Options
    My experience of PPH has been absolutely dreadful after initially thinking it was quite a good platform to get work from.

After completing some work for a client last month which I was paid for and very happy with, the original buyer's colleague got in touch with me and I insisted that the next lot of work should be done via PPH (as per the rules). The buyer listed the job on PPH which I bid on and was accepted, however the amount according to them wasn't enough for a voucher they had so they killed the job. They then re-listed and got asked me to put in a bid that would be enough to activate the voucher, which I did and then completed the work.

Then the problems began, my invoice was rejected and I was banned from PeoplePerHour for 'misusing' the referral scheme. Which was odd, because I never used it.

I've spent the last week trying to resolve the issue with their customer 'support' team only to be told they have evidence of me breaking the terms of my account and somehow being complicit with the buyer in trying to rig the referral scheme. I've asked for both the terms I've broken and this apparent evidence only to be repeatedly ignored.

If I'd have broken the terms of service and worked with the buyer directly I wouldn't have a problem...

Apparently once you have had your account deactivated they have no way of restoring it, which is brilliant when you've got £350's worth of work in progress with no way of completing it and £thousands worth of pending proposals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure