Been approved

Options
Hello forum.
Ok so I’ve bit the bullet after putting it off for a long time and gone down the bumpy road of bankruptcy.
Applied Thursday and it was approved Friday midday.
I have a lot of unsecured credit. Loans credit cards ect.
A while ago I was self employed and let things get the better of me
And in arrears with the tax man.i am now employed again.
I read a lot to do with bankruptcy
And understand tax will be written off with my debts.
Filling out the online forms I put down all the bad credit except
The tax. Does this matter ? Will it be a matter of automatically writing the tax off? Do I tell the OR because I missed it off?

Comments

• ToxtethO'Grady
    Options
    Tell the OR as HMRC may be going through their recovery procedures and bailiffs may be informed and whilst the OR should include the tax in your BR you don't want to be dealing with bailiffs.
    The OR can use discretion about a debt being included if you tell them about it after your BR has been approved, rare, but it does happen.
  • Flyright
    Flyright Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The tax debt should absolutely be disclosed to the OR along with all other debts.
  • haggis0073
    Options
    i was in a similar situation, i forgot to add my tax bill from 2016/17, only remembered when i had an email for me to do my tax assessment, i rang up my OR and they were fine with it, was told to email a copy of the tax bill and that they would notify HMRC
  • stann01
    stann01 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    hi, thanks for the replies.
    i am waiting for the next stage after pressing the button and being accepted.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi stann01

The tax debt definitely needs to be included in your bankruptcy and you should inform the Insolvency Service that you forgot to do this. It's also important to make sure your tax returns are up to date. You may still incur penalties from HMRC while they remain outstanding.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • maxmycardagain
    Options
    Im pretty sure with mine it said ALL debts incurred pre-bankruptcy were included, anything overlooked also...
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • stann01
    Options
    update.
    had phone interview this morning, all went as well as it could, updated all debts including hmrc debts.
    a big weight lifted i can tell you.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Do you mind me asking what sort of things they ask on the phone please? I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to go down the bankruptcy route but I'm terrified of going through the actual process.

Good luck with yours :)
  • stann01
    Options
    Hey mainly go through main points on what you fill in on the online form when applying. Go through your statement of affairs. Ask any questions you may have. Tell you what happens next. Pretty straight forward and nothing to get yourself worked up about. If you get a nice person on the other end like I did this morning it helped a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure