PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Tuesday 13th February 2018

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning, another cold one with the wind from hell but OH is determined to go out for a walk, wish I could put him on a lead and reel him in when he has been far enough!! LOL I hate the cold especially the wind, I am always frozen when we get back despite going out well wrapped up. I have always felt the cold. Thank heavens for gas central heating, at least the bungalow is warm, although it does take its time first thing.

We did eat all our supper last night and also a custard tart. A slight altercation re his second headache pill, he wanted to take it at 10pm.....not 8pm.....hey ho. The headache seems to have dumbed down a bit, but has not gone altogether.

Nothing planned except supper tonight which will be easy, I have defrosted chicken casserole and he wants it with rice, of course we have to have pancakes with lemon, so I know his supper will get eaten tonight.

Its a very grey, windy morning, rain is forecast so if we want to go for a walk we need to go soon, I am not getting wet as well as cold.

TV is dire just now. We are ploughing our way through recordings of Taggart, 5 more episodes to go. They are the early ones with Mark Mcmanus in. What a good actor he was, shame he died......it was never the same afterwards, as happens with so many of these series, that carry on after the original main character dies.

My appointment with the GP has been cancelled, re-arranged with a different Dr for next Monday........ typical.....of course I can go and sit in the waiting room at open surgery, I hate that, you never know what germs are flying about. What happened to the hand in front of the mouth when you cough???? Plus by 8.45 the waiting room is heaving.....
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

I woke up in a bit of a panic and threw my clothes on as the recycling needed to go out and they are coming earlier and earlier. They have just turned up now so I am sat here feeling like smuggy smuggington :D The girls are all still fast asleep so I thought I would let them have a lie in as it's Half Term. Lilly has her friend staying which I always encourage as it makes her be on her best behaviour and easier to live with.

My lovely friend Clare is coming to see me this morning and I am very very happy about it. She is unable to drive at the moment so her dad is going to drop her off for a coffee and to meet Bobby. We will have a proper catch up as we can't really talk at her house as her daughter is always there with her baby. I just want to tidy the living room and run the hoover round before she comes, not that she will care what state my house is in.

I'm not entirely sure what I am going to make for dinner tonight. Maybe it will be sweet and sour chicken with rice. I made a load of pancakes yesterday (a day early I know) so at least I don't have that chore again for a while. I also have to bake the cakes for my friend Rose as I still haven't done it yet and she is coming to get them tomorrow :eek:. I will do it after Clare goes home and maybe rope in my girls to help, they should be awake by then.

ScarletRibbons, good result on taking the meat back. I never usually bother if it happens (thankfully rarely) but it definitely seems worth it now :).

TA, hope Mr TA's pre-op goes well and you get to enjoy your meal out. You sound to be going great guns with the clearing out. I threw away a load of stuff from my bedroom that had been cluttering up the place and it looks loads better.

nmlc, hope your cold goes away soon and you start to feel a lot better x

Holly, the cafe sounds a great idea, enjoy your coffee and maybe a piece of cake too...just for quality control purposes you understand :D

Well, I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly and hugs to those in need especially Csarina and dumpling, Lainey, ouch I have tendonitis too, not nice.

It's lashing down here and windy but toasty warm on the boat.

CHS was dropped a work at 7, next week it will be 6:30!

Since I've been home I've done two loads of washing and have one still to go.

I've started off some minced beef with onions and mushroom, it's now simmering on the log burner, half will make spaghetti Bolognese for tonight, I shall also make cottage pie for CHS'S lunches for a couple of days with the rest.

The sewing machine is set up I'm hoping to make two shopping bags a cushion cover and hem some scarves that I bought that were too big.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

Feeling more human today, after a rough weekend. Been to the gym this morning too which always helps.

Yesterday I played football with my work mates which is a good laugh, although some of them are absolutely mince! Quickly stopped by my mums to drop some stuff off and then headed home for an early bed.

Oh, and yesterday I had my phone interview with an exciting company in Manchester. It was only scheduled to last 15 minutes, but I question how much can be discussed in that time. I've not got a particularly good feeling about it, just a bad vibe.

Today is my grans birthday. So I've bought her some lovely flowers and I'll get her favourite chocolates too. We're all going out tonight for a meal to celebrate. I say 'all' but there will be 5 of us. A nice number.

I can see snow on the mountains from the office, but none here in the city centre. Cold and wet, also known as typical Scottish weather.

Oh, and following on from yesterday - you all feel like extended family to me!
  • poppy811
    Options
    Electrician came yesterday to install the portable thermostatic gadget for the new boiler, all seemed fine, but then last night didn't work, but the instructions are virtually non-existent and I think it's more a situation of I don't really know how to use it and it didn't seem to be picking up the signal from the portable unit to the receiver. But as the boiler is so easy to control, when it was too cold last night I just turned that part off and turned the boiler on manually and it fired up straight away and in 10 minutes we were getting warm. If I can't figure it out, I'll get him to come back so it's not a problem.

Strange! Exactly the same happened here yesterday. I had to call the electrician back as soon as he left the heating went off. He was very honest and said he had made a mistake as he had connected two wires the wrong way round. Hopefully that should be the end of it. off to U3A Nature group now, a talk about the Galapagos Islands. This somewhere I would love to visit.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

I thought no news was good news till Grump messaged me, he is still in his digs in bed.
    "i'm ill" he messaged me.
    He isnt ill, hes wore out doing the job he loves. Travelling 4 hours before a full shift is too much.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Poppyjust to see those turtles would be amazing in the Galapagos Islands I think .

Speky you have lots of spare Grannies and Mums and aunties on here you will never be losy for a friend son :)

At Dds today making piles of pancakes for my DGS.Eldest Dd is enjoying her nYC break and keeps sending photo's of what they are doing over there.She is bringing me home another bottle of Smukers grape jelly when she comes home I love the stuff as its great for adding to yohurt or rice puds,slightly runnier than our set jam but delicious.

Last night's freebie meal at the pub was very nice and Icame home and had a piece of cake indoors instead of having a pud there .My 'give up for Lent' is going to be cake and biscuits :) biscuits will be hard as I adore a couple of ginger nuts with a cuppa.Cake I will stillmake but only for the grandchildren :) 40 days without a biscuit ,that's a toughie.

My DD gave up chocolate for Lent two years ago and has never eaten it since !!! says even the thought makes her feel ill.

Quiz night tonight so another night of no cooking, meal included at the pub. No food shopping bought at all so far, apart from one shop earlier this month. Budgets doing well as its 13th of February already

Hope everyone has a good day and manages to keep warm and dry
    I read on the internet this morning of some low life who threw a bucket of cold water over a rough sleeper in Northamptonshire a few days ago How disgusting is that.The young lady was sleeping behind a furniture shop in a doorway. Poor lass homeless cold and lonely and an excuse for a human being does that to her I cannot understand the mentality of that at all Grrr

JackieO xxx
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    Gers
    thank you for mentioning that Shetland starts tonight, we both like watching this
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello all
    Had a really bad night due to a coughing fit about 1.30, even woke Mr Fix It as I couldn't catch my breath. I hate it when that happens as it's very scary ! We chatted until 4 am then he fell asleep. How rude, when I'm still wide awake :p. Good job we removed the chandeliers because I could have swung from them this morning :rotfl:. I blame the cough medicine again!
    We were going to town this morning but decided to give it a miss, as the weather overnight was high winds and driving rain, plus I was going to have a lie in. Not much chance of that as it's bin day, gosh they are a noisy lot and someone is having scaffolding put up too :eek:. So I'm hanging today :(.
    Early this morning Mr Fix It saw our over-the-road neighbour trying to get rid of his extra rubbish in anyone's bin. Got caught coming over to ours as Mr Fix It was stood in the window, watching. Think Mr Fix It was a blood hound in a former life :D. Don't suppose neighbour will stop trying next time though.
    Not much will be done by me today as I'm thoroughly wrecked and I intend to have an early night. Even tea will be something out of the freezer and oven chips, epic fail today Oser's :(.
    MrsSD You threw me with "Ron", there was I thinking you're psychic as Mr Fix It's middle name is Ronald ( which he hates ) but it's a hand me down through the generations, so he's stuck with it. Never thought about "later on" :D.
    Dumpling
    and JackieO thanks for the explanation. :doh:I must be really thick or can I blame it on the lurgy ?:rotfl:. As the bacon had been frozen once, I was unsure about refreezing it unless it was cooked.
    TA hope Mr TA's appointment goes well.
    Speky I think I would have to be the eccentric aunt who sits in the corner and talks to herself :rotfl:.
    Hope everyone stays safe and warm today. Sending hugs to anyone who needs or wants one. Might even have a few for myself too :D.
    Take care all
    nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Gintotmelinda
    Gintotmelinda Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 February 2018 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Afternoon all

Wet and cold here first thing but has brightened up now. Grampy's taxi was employed taking DD and DGS to a playdate this morning so they could arrive there dry and warm. Just as well they only live about 5 minutes away.

DH and I have cracked on with the housework this morning and he has now nipped over to Lidlee for some bits and pieces. He is salivating at the thought of pancakes tonight. Wish me luck for after 43 years I am still rubbish with batter.

We have friends coming round for coffee this afternoon. We are free this week as we don't have to look after DGS Well in theory anyway lol !

Hugs and spoons to all poorlies and worried. Keep warm and have a good day.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family