Every DFWs nightmare

Options

Comments

• Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Nightmare. Had a boss once who spent a stupid amount up front on someone's leaving gift (and it wasn't even that good) and then got their partner who also worked there to try and guilt-trip the rest of us into paying more (they were asking for £20+ ... forget it!). Boss should have waited to see what the total raised was before deciding what to buy.

I have managed to get the small group I'm in at work to agree to stop presents & just go over to cards. As far as the wider colleagues are concerned, there are collections for retirements / people leaving after a long time, but donations / amounts are optional.

I used to work somewhere where the birthday girl / boy brought in cakes and that worked well for a friendly group of about 12. Where I am now, it was a silly system of cakes provided by someone else in your immediate group - that meant some people ended up buying more than one set and the person whose birthday it was couldn't pick the day to celebrate. Also got taken advantage of by passing grazers who'd pop in to scrounge, but be far too busy to stay / contribute another time.
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    In the office I used to work in, we only collected for our immediate team, this could still work out quite costly but you did get a decent birthday present as they would ask you for suggestions.

These days I work from home for the majority or time thus avoiding contributing to Birthdays. I did join in the Secret Santa but when I received some soap that was mouldy (obviously been kept in a damp place for a long time) I might just swerve this one as well next time:(

Ellie x
  • SBF79
    SBF79 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Say you've converted to a Jehovah's Witness, they don't celebrate birthdays.
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I just ignore them or pop to the toilet when they do the whip round! ;)
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    Every office I have ever worked in, the birthday boy or girl brings cakes. Currently, where I work, it is a box of samosas from the local bakery. Requests for money are usually dodged and I have not contributed more than £1 to any whip round in many years.

Samosas >>>>>>> cakes.

Sounds like my kind of workplace.

Dennis

@natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Samosas >>>>>>> cakes.

Sounds like my kind of workplace.

Dennis

@natdebtline

They are to die for. The local Indian samosa shop do a wonderful selection fresh made every single day. It works out at 10p for veg only and 20p per lamb one and they are huge, not the piddly little things you get from Morrisons on the deli. You can get chicken tikka and all sorts of fillings and they are hot when you get them. We usually buy them by the 100 or so. It's usually someones' birthday in the office so there are often some each day.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Elmly
    Elmly Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The last person to have their birthday got a Pandora ring among many other gifts. I've not contributed to the 5 birthdays we have had in the 6 weeks have been there. I don't want it to be awkward and I'm not fussed about getting a present for my birthday. Even thought noone has said anything I almost feel a bit of peer pressure :/
  • koselur
    koselur Posts: 97 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Elmly wrote: »
    The last person to have their birthday got a Pandora ring among many other gifts. I've not contributed to the 5 birthdays we have had in the 6 weeks have been there. I don't want it to be awkward and I'm not fussed about getting a present for my birthday. Even thought noone has said anything I almost feel a bit of peer pressure :/

a Pandora ring?!? that is outrageous.

I think you are well within your rights not to contribute & tbh when they are spending that much your £2 probably won't make much difference
    LBM - 3rd March 2015 - [STRIKE]£3604[/STRIKE] £0
    Debt-free [STRIKE]by Oct 16[/STRIKE] Jan 16
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi
    Why don't you suggest either a secret ballot about abolishing the whole birthday thing (I would put money on loads being happy to drop the idea) or have an "opt in or out", so those who want to contribute only pay for others who contribute.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I say "no".
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure