PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Back In time For Tea

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As a child my late Mum cooked tripe with onions, and it was as revolting as it looked on the programme, but during the austerity of post war Britain you ate what was put in front of you, or went hungry.

Rationing was around until 1954 so being 'picky' wasn't an option. I think the bacon roly poly would have been better if it was baked rather than boiled, the cloth looked slightly more appealing than the pudding.

On the 1911 census in Scotland for my grandmother's house she was down as widowed with five children under 14 plus two lodgers !!

The lodgers were probably her main source of income She lived in what was called a Butt 'n' Ben cottage, with no inside sanitation ,electric light or running water. Just an outhouse and a pump in the well in the garden.

She was confined to a wheelchair after the birth of her last baby son in 1890 and as I remember my late Dad saying she slept in it as well.

As soon as the children were old enough they were sent out into the world to make their own way My Dad's older brother David went to the USA and another one William, went to Canada, and a sister May, to Australia. She had a very hard life with a total of 7 of her own children and 6 step children from when she married my Granddad in 1883.

He died in 1897 leaving her almost penniless. no social security as a blanket to help out in those days )

My own Dad left home at 10 and was apprenticed to a chap in Glasgow, who he had previously worked after school for in his home town of Brechin from the age of 8 .This man had decided to move to Glasgow with his wife, and askedmy Grandma if he could take my Dad with him, he taught my Dad all he knew and put him through his training in Glasgow to become a qualified chemist.
    My Dad always said it was the best thing his Mum did for him as it got him away from the local linen mills which would have been his only option back in those days .

I agree watching the programme it seems to have been a bit rushed and perhaps a bit more detail would have made it better .

The family were lovely though and the girls quite willing to give Mum a hand, and the young lad is lovely and his smile brightens up everyone .The Mum is pretty good and a lot less complaining than the other one in the previous programme.At least she know how to use a tin opener :)

I look forward to seeing how they get on with the rationing :)

JackieO xx
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    As far as I can see the last census that has been released in Scotland was 1911, the house wasn't built then so nothing to track unfortunately:(.

There is a 1939 register, compiled when war was expected, so the government knew who was where & what skills they did or did not have

This register went on to be the basis of the NHS register
    Some names and details are redacted because of this
    You local library may be able to access this, via Find My Past
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    There is a 1939 register, compiled when war was expected, so the government knew who was where & what skills they did or did not have

This register went on to be the basis of the NHS register
    Some names and details are redacted because of this
    You local library may be able to access this, via Find My Past

I think (though I'm not sure) that Scotland has only published up to 1911 census as they lock records of 100 years. Parish registers would an option but they aren't online and held at a location I can't get to:(
  • midnightraven3
    Options
    I was surprised the 15/16 year old daughter didnt know how to peel an onion
    and who knew everyone had the giant "pasta maker" in their backyard:rotfl:

The mum in this one is much better than the previous one
    I am looking forward to next weeks
  • blackcatsx2
    Options
    I laughed at the pasta maker too! I’m also looking forward to next week and watching them cooking with rations.
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have teenage girls and I was relieved that they did know what a mangle was - but only because I’ve pointed them out when we’ve visited historic buildings and told them that I remember my grandparents using one.

But I discovered yesterday that my girls didn’t know about postmarks. My youngest was puzzled that I knew where in the country a letter had been posted before I’d opened it. She very rarely gets post and I’d never thought to explain it before.

They can both peel and chop an onion though!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    re the post one of my grandsons Jack, who is a very bright almost 18 year old in his second year of 'A' levels actually asked me where he could buy a stamp as he wanted to post an appliction for a provisional driving licence off.

I started to laugh, until I realised that he and most of his contemporaries would perhaps have never posted a letter to anyone, as its all emails and texts and he certainly rarely gets mail
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My MiL grew up as the youngest child of 6 (suspect that she might have been the daughter of eldest daughter who was aged 21 when she was born, but that is conjecture) in 1911. Her father was a farm labourer in Wiltshire and her three brothers all lived at home, as did eldest daughter. Second daughter (born 1900) was already away in Bognor Regis as a skivvy maid in 1912 - she should have been in education until 13 but had a "certificate of leaving" dated 1912. One of her brothers volunteered (and lied about his age) in 1914 and the lack of his earnings into the cottage was a cause of concern to the family. Eldest sister married in 1915 and left the home and the other two brothers were called up during WW1. When MiL was 13, she too went to work locally for the "big family" - and cried when she found that there was running water in the kitchen! She actually worked her way up through the kitchen and various employers and when she married at 28 she was one of the head cooks at a castle!

The cottage in which they lived was a tiny thatched cottage where the rats would run through the thatch. It was a very pretty village - and that cottage recently changed hands at £750,000!

After that upbringing - and that of FiL who was one of 13 children, is there any wonder that they only had one child?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2018 at 2:42PM
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »

After that upbringing - and that of FiL who was one of 13 children, is there any wonder that they only had one child?

Back then you didn't have a choice though.

If you had sex, there was a chance you were pregnant. Few used/had access to the old fashioned rubbery bags that passed as condoms. AND ... even if they had the access to them and the cash for them, there was still the embarrassment factor as they'd have to go into the shop to buy them face to face from people they knew.

After that, it's a question of whether you can carry one to full term.

With only one child it would indicate that either him/her weren't having any sex ... maybe they even split up but the records don't show it ... and one just "assumes" people stayed together...

Or maybe she couldn't get pregnant, or couldn't carry to full term, perpetually losing them.

He probably wasn't shooting blanks as he produced one, but might have a low sperm count.

Apart from that, there was just syphilis - you can sometimes spot this in families if there's a gap between living children of about 10 years, which is the clearance time ... you'd expect to see miscarriages, stillborn babies, then maybe babies who died very young, then possibly some with disabilities - after about 10 years you would then probably have a live baby without problems.

You couldn't choose though. No reliable/decent/accessible contraception until the 1960s.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, they didn't split up, no, there were no miscarriages/babies not carried until fullterm. There was, however WWII, and FiL was in the navy and went to sea when OH was 12 days old, saw him again when he was nearly 5 years old! Not that unusual. By which time MiL would have been 36 - and, remembering the childhood backgrounds of MiL and FiL when malnutrition could well have a contributory factor.

And knowing both of them, and their ethics, syphilis would certainly not be a factor, even though FiL was in the navy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure