Advice on holiday payment

Hi, not sure if i'm asking this in the right place but i'll give you the short story.

Some months ago friends of our asked if would like to go on a 4 day break that one of their friends is organizing, we said yes that would be nice.
As the months passed we received no information on the holiday, no paperwork, no itinerary, no letters asking for a deposit, nothing. We did think it was a bit strange as the trip was to France so we thought they would need all our details, but we received nothing and were never asked for anything, not even our names.
Anyway, as the date of the trip came closer we had a loss in the family so we thought it would be best not to go. Now today some 3 weeks after the trip we received an email demanding £750 payment :( this was the first time the person organizing the trip had ever contacted us in any way. Like i said we had never had any contact with anyone about the trip except from the point of our friends asking if we would like to go.

My question is should i seek legal advice if this person persistent or am i in the wrong for not paying?

many thanks ( a worried rambler)

Comments

• Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Unless you promised to pay, I can't see that you're in the wrong.

If you asked me if I'd like to go to China one day, I'd say yes. If you then presented me with an invoice for the trip, I'd laugh at you (in the nicest possible way - I see the newbie alert). It sounds as though that's pretty much what's happened here.

Is there any possibility the organiser has just made a mistake, and sent an email to a whole bundle of people who did go chasing up £750 from each of them? If so, I'd point out the mistake. If not, I'd reply along the lines of what you've said here - you did express interest in the trip, but you never agreed to go, you never agreed to pay anything, and you're not going to pay. After that, ignore them - unless you get any court papers; I would seek legal advice at that point.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Hi, not sure if i'm asking this in the right place but i'll give you the short story.

Some months ago friends of our asked if would like to go on a 4 day break that one of their friends is organizing, we said yes that would be nice.
    As the months passed we received no information on the holiday, no paperwork, no itinerary, no letters asking for a deposit, nothing. We did think it was a bit strange as the trip was to France so we thought they would need all our details, but we received nothing and were never asked for anything, not even our names.
    Anyway, as the date of the trip came closer we had a loss in the family so we thought it would be best not to go. Now today some 3 weeks after the trip we received an email demanding £750 payment :( this was the first time the person organizing the trip had ever contacted us in any way. Like i said we had never had any contact with anyone about the trip except from the point of our friends asking if we would like to go.

My question is should i seek legal advice if this person persistent or am i in the wrong for not paying?

If the person persists, then you may wish to seek legal advice.

In the meantime, it may be simpler to just delete the email and set your email application to refuse or automatically delete any further emails from this person if you no longer wish to hear from them :)
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative

Hi south-coast-rambler - as this is about a holiday payment, we'd recommend that you contact our Consumer Helpline on this one (08454 04 05 06, 9am to 5pm, Mondays to Fridays) or your local bureau.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure