Returning a game to Game (the store)

Options
Ok i am not exactly sure if this is the correct forum to post this on but I'm sure a moderator will kindly move it if i'm wrong :)

I recently purchased Final Fantasy XIII from Game for £7.99 for my partner. I was looking for a Final Fantasy game as her reflexes aren't that great and a turn based game seemed best for her. Unfortunately after playing the game for 5 mins we can clearly see that it is no longer a simple turned based game (enemies now attack you based on a timer and will not necessarily wait for you to take you turn) and she will never be able to play it.

Even though we have only played the game for 5 mins I know that Game will kick up a fuss because the games seal has been broken. Having had friends who have worked in Game I know these seals are something Game put on themselves (you can actually see them place one on the case of a second hand game when you purchase it). So can these stick on seals which Game produce themselves really be used as a any sort of legal stand point for refusing returns? Can they tell me that they will not refund the game or even exchange it for a different game (this is also in the returns policy) because I have removed one of their silly little stickers?

What is my legal standpoint on this matter?

Comments

• Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    edited 19 July 2014 at 7:16PM
    Options
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/i-want-to-return-my-goods-what-are-my-rights

As the product is as described, not faulty and fit for purpose, the store doesn't have to take your return (unless you purchased it online in which case your rights differ).

They may offer you a refund or store credit but that is at their discretion. I'd try and find out what their returns policy is.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the part where you said that you'd seen their returns policy.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - they put the seals on to ensure any claim for a refund is based on the game having not been opened (nothing to do with being played). It is up to the customer to check it is suitable first. There is discretion allowed, but not if copyright could gave been infringed.

Sell it as new on an auction site.
  • ifstar
    ifstar Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For the sake of £7.99, is it not just worth ebaying it and seeing how much you can get back. Game don't need to refund you because you don't like it or can't play it.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    Take it in and speak to them, while there will always be those who'll follow the policy religiously there will be some who will use common sense/compassion & allow you to exchange it. Doesn't harm you to give it a shot, the worst they can do is say no - but the flip side is they may be willing to work with you. Game have a reputation for being jerks, but the one I go to regularly are anything but, the majority of them are gamers & understand that sometimes the game isn't right for a certain person.

Just remember that anything they do is purely at their discretion, so don't get nippy with them if they refuse to do anything, after all they're only doing what they're told.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Or trade it in and see (if you haven't played it) if you can get FFX re-mastered, which is a lot more fun, better story and it's turn based. Goes pre owned for £22.99. It should be better suited for you partner.

Sorry I can't help with the refund bit.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • VictorCharlie
    Options
    Sell it or trade it. Or even stick with it.
    I know the fight system can be off putting for someone expecting turn based but its not too bad.
    The first few hours of the game is pretty much run, fight, run, fight and you can just spam the auto battle button without really even looking and you win the battles.
    I haven't played a Final Fantasy since FFIX on the PS1, so I was also hoping for more turn based action. But I'm gonna keep plugging away and give it a fair go.
    £7.99 though, ouch. I just bought FFXIII for £2.99 from an independent games shop last week.
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    Options
    The reason they have to have the rule is to prevent people from using pre-owned titles as a free rental service. If they offered to exchange any game within 14 days then you could buy a pre-owned title, play it and then just go and swap it for something else when you are done.

Talking to them may result in them using discretion and allowing you to exchange, but it isn't guaranteed.

Your other options are to trade the game back in to them (but you won't get anywhere near what you paid) or sell elsewhere i.e. on eBay.
  • d70cw6
    d70cw6 Posts: 784 Forumite
    Options
    see if they'll swap it for FFX HD remaster - turn based and MUCH better game
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair years ago when they had the "no questions" return policy it was abused regularly, I worked for them back in 2002 and would say 1 in every 3 pre-owned games was returned within the 28 days. (It was the same in Gamestation as well to be fair) Ultimately I guess it got to the stage where they realised it wasn't viable any longer to do that.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Another vote for take it in and explain - maybe ask for the manager? I'm sure someone will have some compassion for your situation.

I think they are likely to offer an exchange or credit note though?

Best of luck, hope you find something more suitable :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport