PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The two stores are very different -although they look the same at first glance. I've been slowly testing/comparing "identical" products from both to discover which I like the best - and there is a difference that can persuade you that something is better at one or the other. e.g. sausage rolls, I prefer the L to the A ones.

:) Yes that does make perfect sense. The advantage I'll have is they are roughly about 2 minutes away from each other (when the new one opens) , one being in a mini 'retail park' and the other on the site of a former old college outbuilding (best way I can describe it)

So its roughly 20 minutes then "a choice" or both. :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Given the choice between stollen & pannetone it would have to stollen every time.:) Pannetone IMHO is only good for toasting or making bread & butter pudding. ;)
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Wet & wild this morning, but went out as I "needed" veg suet for the planned dumplings, and B1sto chicken granules, down to my last spoonful. But I forgot, again, the beans / sausages in a tin

Just cold here, bad windy last night. Expecting some snow tomorrow I think.

Talking of granules: I decided to go with a glass jar (a small one) of 'low salt' gravy granules this time and no stock cubes, figuring it will last a bit better plus I then have a small spare glass jar for storing half a pack of say 'instant mash' in or such too.

I still cannot replicate the lovely gravy my grandparents used to make however I do know what is needed its a question of 'how' , I do plan on a topic about this at some point.

Beans: I ended up getting two Haricot bean tins and two 'mixed bean salad' tins in the end to try them out. I've also taken a chance on a small tin of 'H's bbq beans' too, I may or may not like them given the tomato content (yuk) however I plan on trying a bit of it then if its no good I can rise the sauce out and eat them when I warm them up with some random veg mix, so there is not going to be any loss. :) , famous last words! :D

Sadly the normal 'mixed bean' was changed for 'red kidney' which seems odd as I would of thought they would of just added another two of one of the other type. To be fair I decided to keep them to try them given they were 30p each so 60p is not the end, and at least I'll know if I want them again or not. :)
    Oh, while on L subject, pull along trolleys are on from Sunday, mind you nearly £30, mine was nowhere near that price. The offer one seems better than mine, has separate compartment, including a cool bit [are you listening Andy?]
    Come in two options on wheels, the go up stairs type or bog standard
    Yes I'm listening. :D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    More use-ups for dinner today. Sorta stew of bit of leek (use up), canned tomato (for taste), quorn mince (use up - thats the last of that gone at last), homemade pesto (use up), some spinach wilted in at the end and throw some hemp seeds and nutritional yeast on top.

Stomach still got a gap in it. Must head for some toast - as I cba to make anything "filling" with it.

Beginning to see daylight re all that cheese to use up - and dairy products now moved to smallest drawer in freezer and done some freezer reorganisation whilst waiting for it to cook. Cue for 2 drawers for fruit (apples and assorted berries in one and everything else in the other), bread drawer, vegan drawer (that's the tofu and the like and cooked-by-me dried beans and lentils), assorted oddments drawer, vegetables drawer. Plans on having freezer bags of half a cans worth of things like cooked beans and lentils - and, hopefully, will be organised enough to take one of those bags out to defrost in the morning and it will be just as "convenient" as canned stuff come mealtime. Plans on using some released space for having portions of cooked rice as well (one person helping size).

It should all work out making it much easier for cba days. That's the theory anyway.....
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That's dinner over, the Moroccan style lamb pie was OK, not too spicy but TBH a nice Kate & Sidney would do me just as well. There is one MLSP left in the pack, always is, as per CFO living. It will be the last that enters Farway Towers

Heard the weather forecast, seems I'm in the "hotter" part of the country tomorrow, depending on how the L beef goes it could be stew day, I don't fancy doing it in the slow cooker, always seems to taste the same.

Think I will try on the hob, if I can find [STRIKE]big enough [/STRIKE]correct size pan. I seem to have HUGE and "boil over sizes", not much in the middle
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's dinner over, the Moroccan style lamb pie was OK, not too spicy but TBH a nice Kate & Sidney would do me just as well. There is one MLSP left in the pack, always is, as per CFO living. It will be the last that enters Farway Towers
    I googled them.
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=7336

I'd not buy them due to price/size. £1/pie :)
    That's out of my food radar for something I don't know if I'd like.
    .... depending on how the L beef goes it could be stew day, I don't fancy doing it in the slow cooker, always seems to taste the same.

Think I will try on the hob, if I can find [STRIKE]big enough [/STRIKE]correct size pan. I seem to have HUGE and "boil over sizes", not much in the middle

Yes, pan size can be tricky ....

I'm going to do it in the SC, then I thought "why?" .... I could just nuke it. So I'll probably be nuking a beef curry tomorrow. Seems easiest. I do wish I had a larger microwave dish though - I'll get one when I find one for £1-3 or so.

Without a large dish I juggle 2-3 smaller dishes then mix at the end in another bowl.
  • caronc
    Options
    Son and partner are safely back in Cardiff after a rather bumpy & delayed ferry and a bit of a hairy drive from Dover :D , suffice to say I'm incredibly relieved :D:D

It's snowing just a few miles from here whereas we have gales, hail and sleet. I've had to turn the heating up quite a bit as my hands & feet are freezing:(.

I've gone for any easy option for dinner of baked fish with mushrooms, tomato and baked spud.
  • caronc
    Options
    I googled them.
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=7336

I'd not buy them due to price/size. £1/pie :)
    That's out of my food radar for something I don't know if I'd like.

Yes, pan size can be tricky ....

I'm going to do it in the SC, then I thought "why?" .... I could just nuke it. So I'll probably be nuking a beef curry tomorrow. Seems easiest. I do wish I had a larger microwave dish though - I'll get one when I find one for £1-3 or so.

Without a large dish I juggle 2-3 smaller dishes then mix at the end in another bowl.
    Do you not find the beef is hard to get tender in the microwave if cooking from raw? I tried a stew in the microwave yonks (and yonks) ago when I was cookerless due to a fault and I didn't have enough time to SC it. I found the stewing beef was cooked but dry and really chewy. It ended up in the pooches and I had to spend money on a takeaway so I've never chanced it again.
  • caronc
    Options
    More use-ups for dinner today. Sorta stew of bit of leek (use up), canned tomato (for taste), quorn mince (use up - thats the last of that gone at last), homemade pesto (use up), some spinach wilted in at the end and throw some hemp seeds and nutritional yeast on top.

Stomach still got a gap in it. Must head for some toast - as I cba to make anything "filling" with it.

Beginning to see daylight re all that cheese to use up - and dairy products now moved to smallest drawer in freezer and done some freezer reorganisation whilst waiting for it to cook. Cue for 2 drawers for fruit (apples and assorted berries in one and everything else in the other), bread drawer, vegan drawer (that's the tofu and the like and cooked-by-me dried beans and lentils), assorted oddments drawer, vegetables drawer. Plans on having freezer bags of half a cans worth of things like cooked beans and lentils - and, hopefully, will be organised enough to take one of those bags out to defrost in the morning and it will be just as "convenient" as canned stuff come mealtime. Plans on using some released space for having portions of cooked rice as well (one person helping size).

It should all work out making it much easier for cba days. That's the theory anyway.....
    That sounds very organised and planned - beyond my capabilities freezer-wise.:rotfl::rotfl: I'm just pleased to have got mine in a bit of order;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    turkey for me too and cranberry sauce and one one-off once a year fillet steak, which I will probably cook one half at a time for two days

So I am now baking shortbread, was very easy using a potato masher and pressing the dough into a quiche tin. Too late to sample a piece but will do that tomorrow

I had a rare, for me, baked potato at lunchtime, with baked beans. Potato was fine but tbh too fluffy and sweet for me, must be full of sugars which my mouth detected. Late meal was a bigger meal than normal, recipe for celeriac from jamie, easy and no potato, cut into chunks in a pan. I did 2 chicken thighs and various veg in my shallow pressure cooker, like a frying pan with a pressure lid. Was ready in 20 minutes and very yummy. I did take an enzyme capsule with the potato and another with the last meal, certainly helps my digestion to cope and I can tell because there are no rumblings and tum is flatter. I only received them yesterday and will normally only take one if I have a doubtful (potato, aubergine, wheat etc) meal or a heavier one

I am keeping a running shopping list at the moment because I don`t intend to shop much, the crowds will be growing and I hate those crowds, that plus snow sweeping of shelves
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure