PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade soap dish?

Options
I have a fair few bars of soap sitting in a drawer. They haven't been used as we lost our soapdish somewhere during our house move. I've been setting the soap on the side of the sink but it goes gooey too quickly and would like to find an alternative.

Does anyone have any ideas for a homemade soap dish that will keep the soap dry between uses, something made out of things you might already have in the house, and possibly looks ok?

I don't have any sponges at the moment (I have used them in the past) and am determined to not spend money on anything other than food for the rest of the summer.
:happylove

Comments

• Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Take a small bowl or an old marg tub ( you could cover or pant the sides if you fancied) . Cut a pice of old net curtain a coupe of inches larger. Use old tights at a push. Attach to container with an elastic band around the rim, with a bit of slack in the middle. This makes a hammock for the soap and the water drips through.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could use an upturned scrubbing brush, and then it will be ready loaded for cleaning purposes.
    But I think you should just go and buy one you like the look of. :)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A slice of coconut shells with holes drilled in the bottom makes a great soap dish from something you would throw away - if you like coconut.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 July 2016 at 2:33PM
    Options
    It might seem odd, but we have something similar to this which we keep our soap on. Ours was a human hair massage product my mum was given in the 1960s, dad cut the 'handle' bit off and it made the perfect soap 'dish' as it's only touching a small number of pins and therefore dries really easily. I'm still using it 50 years on!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Cat-Pet-Grooming-Massage-Glove-Bath-Brush-Hair-Grooming-Comb-Cleaning-Tools-/272272200895?hash=item3f64b014bf:g:b9EAAOSwuhhXXa8y

Or this one. I know you don't want to spend any money, but it's only 99p and you can collect from Argos

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Puppy-Cat-Dog-Pets-Cleaning-Massage-Grooming-Glove-Bath-Brush-Hair-Comb-Oval-/322094872697?var=&hash=item4afe59b879:m:mZQuLds6qoGhsE9x8YxgNzw
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another vote for the upturned nail brush.

I've balanced the soap on a sponge or the pumice stone in the past also.

Edit: http://lifehacker.com/5892433/twist-a-bottle-cap-into-a-bar-of-soap-to-prevent-soap-slime
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • Thistle-down
    Thistle-down Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    This probably should have gone under the Make Do and Mend thread. :o

Thank you all for your ideas! I am going to try the bottlecap one first, as it's the easiest.

I know I could buy something cheap at the shop, but am really trying to get out of my consumer mentality by re-purposing things I already have in the house and only buying things that are absolutely necessary.

My next project is to plant the free herb seeds sent by the water company into old tin cans and make a little herb garden on my kitchen windowsill. I just need to find a little bit of soil to put in the cans... :)
    :happylove
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My father had an iron chunk he rammed into soap, with a magnet hanging from the shaving mirror.
    If you already have a magnet, worth testing any bottletops?
  • cheel
    cheel Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    I heard somewhere about squishing a beer bottle cap into the bottom of the bar to kind of give it a 'foot' . Hope that helps. X
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge £7.58 / £200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A crumpled ball of foil pushed into one side keeps the soap off the surface and allows it to drain. That's how the label on Imperial Leather is supposed to be used ;)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure