Cheap wedding venues in the north west and wales, and doing a wedding for under 6k

Options
Yet to be engaged but after attending a friends wedding we've come to the conclusion that deep down eloping isn't what we really want, so now I'm trying to come up with a budget for a wedding for 50 people in the north west or wales.

I was hoping to get the venue with registar costs and food for under 3k (i m hoping to do an overall budget of between 5.5k and 6k for everything,any comments on if this is realistic are welcome :) ) but all i've found so far was between 3k and 4k, we're happy to get married in the winter and consider a mid week or friday wedding, and i want to have the reception and ceremony in the same place to save on transport . I would like to opt for a buffet rather than a sit down meal and as we aren't champagne drinkers ourselves, want a cheap option for toast and just have water for tables otherwise.
So does anyone have any suggestions?
Survey Earnings April 2016 £5/£40
Comping since April 2016 0 wins :(

Comments

• skimper
    skimper Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Were getting married at mere court hotel in march, that's cost us 4k for venue for ceremony & meal/night do & all food/welcome drinks/nibbles. Its £600 for the registrar though. So maybe a bit out of budget but they do really good winter deals on their site so worth a look.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I believe a few places do packages in that ball park, Wild Pheasant in Llangollen, Wynstay Arms in Wrexham, Miners Welfare Institute, Llay and Days Inn Hotel Chester are places I seem to remember seeing advertising such deals. May have changed now, and I don't remember all the details re numbers. Also some of the more pricey venues offer mid-week and last minute deals.

As for toasts a good prosecco or cava will undercut champagne, ask a friend who likes fizz for a recomendation?
  • carebear95
    carebear95 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    skimper wrote: »
    Were getting married at mere court hotel in march, that's cost us 4k for venue for ceremony & meal/night do & all food/welcome drinks/nibbles. Its £600 for the registrar though. So maybe a bit out of budget but they do really good winter deals on their site so worth a look.

Thank you, i shall look into their winter deals :) After lots of googling i decided to extend the search to Yorkshire as well and there are venues with packages in the 2.5k ball park there so i've decided the budget will now be no more than that. Is that a Saturday registrar charge? Ideally i want to keep it to offering a drink with the meal and a drink for the toast, almost half of the guests are barely/non-drinks so i m hoping the rest will understand the lack of welcome drinks or soft drinks if we do have them.
  • carebear95
    Options
    daivid wrote: »
    I believe a few places do packages in that ball park, Wild Pheasant in Llangollen, Wynstay Arms in Wrexham, Miners Welfare Institute, Llay and Days Inn Hotel Chester are places I seem to remember seeing advertising such deals. May have changed now, and I don't remember all the details re numbers. Also some of the more pricey venues offer mid-week and last minute deals.

As for toasts a good prosecco or cava will undercut champagne, ask a friend who likes fizz for a recomendation?

Thank you, i shall look into those venues:) My one worry is that guests may not be able to attend mid week, but will definitely do it in the winter so hopefully that will cut costs. I shall look into prosecco type options to save money :)
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    Options
    "Yet to be engaged"?....
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Our daughter got married this week in Wales. Total spend was less than 3k all in (vintage afternoon tea). It was a Monday wedding and we had no problem with people coming :)
  • carebear95
    Options
    FutureGirl wrote: »
    "Yet to be engaged"?....
    As in my partner has told me he's going to propose sometime in the next 4 months and we've been talking specific details to know how much it's going to cost for the major expenses so he knows how much to he needs saved for it.
    (we don't want a particularly long engagement:P)
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Registrars charge more if it is not at their standard register office but £600 is a lot- ours was about £400 on a saturday - varies by local authority.
  • skimper
    skimper Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    carebear95 wrote: »
    Thank you, i shall look into their winter deals :) After lots of googling i decided to extend the search to Yorkshire as well and there are venues with packages in the 2.5k ball park there so i've decided the budget will now be no more than that. Is that a Saturday registrar charge? Ideally i want to keep it to offering a drink with the meal and a drink for the toast, almost half of the guests are barely/non-drinks so i m hoping the rest will understand the lack of welcome drinks or soft drinks if we do have them.

Yes that's a Saturday charge. I thought it was quite expensive, but its classed as East Cheshire.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure