PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow, lots going on - house purchases checked, rooms painted, and I'm loving the African donations. Especially when it's a local initiative, then you *know* it gets to the intended recipients :)

GQ, I'd no idea that a property was checked out like that by the council before it was passed on to another tenant. I suppose if people aren't as conscientious as your family, it means the council have to do it themselves, which result in higher council tax, eventually?

I was going to ask you about bonfires again - accelerant, actually. Do you use any particular "product" to help the bonfire start? Does anyone else? I'm definitely getting on with cutting down this laurel hedge of mine, gradually transferring the twiglets and heavy branches to the hardstanding at the front of my house - I'll offer it to local peeps, as suggested, but I'm wondering about what's left, and other stuff I have too....

ETA - Mavvy, we crossposted, so sorry to hear things are still so tough for you :( it sounds like you're right to pull back. Sending you positive, loving thoughts.

Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    mavvymoo wrote: »

Loads has gone on and at the end of the awful few weeks I lost my dog who has been with me for 11 years since he was a puppy. It was a horrible time which ended with us taking him to Cambridge as the vets couldnt find out what was wrong with him. We got him there and he was scanned and they found a tumour and that was it:( No bringing him home again.:(

I miss him so much as DH works away and I spent all my time with him here and now I feel so lost :(

So I am taking it day by day and know there is nothing I can do and we did all we could for him.

I'm sorry to read that.xxx :(
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mavvymoo
    So sorry about the loss of your companion and furry best friend, they leave such a huge gap in our lives when they have to leave us, shed loads of virtual hugs on the way to you.

Enjoy watching the fall-out from the local stuff, perhaps now at last people will realise just how much you have done for the locality. It is good to have a place such as this to vent one's feelings and disappointment.

OH and I have been away so much this summer, couple that with ill health means that little Kondoing has happened, but I am mentally ready to start up again, albeit at a slow pace.

I have now pretty much caught up with the thread, apologies for not having been able to offer any support or congratulations to people over the last few weeks, but I have been with you in spirit.

GQ
    Condolences on the passing of your dear Nan, she sounds a lovely lady and will always be part of you. Try to avoid murdering the Aunt if at all possible - we would all miss you so much if you were banged up for murder:D I hope that the clearing of the bungalow works out in time and that the family are able to give her a lovely send off. Be aware that you may experience a bit of a crash health wise when this is all over and take care of yourself as best you can.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Mavvy, I am so sorry about your four legged companion. People who do a lot get put upon - remember the old adage, 'If you want something doing ask a busy woman'? :mad:
    You certainly have had a lot to deal with, one way and another.

Be kind to yourself and don't keep trying to be Superwoman*, it took me years to learn that you really don't get any thanks from most folk, you just get taken for granted. (*leave that to GQ for now :)).

drum roll DH, who was rained off from work, has just reappeared to report that he has removed the large volumes of books that had remained untouched for several years. He has committed to reading them , with a vague mention that they can be released after that. I am concerned about where he is planning on housing them in the meantime.......
    I shall kondo the rest of the shelf in the multipurpose room this afto, while the magic is a-Wooing!

I was about to release a very old pinny, dark brown polyester affair, utilitarian is probably the right word! However (I love starting sentences with words that are not suitable :rotfl:), I have a cunning plan. DH uses the arm of the sofa to balance various bits of paper, invoices, his mobile, the day's post, etc, etc Inevitably, one wrong move and it cascades onto the floor.
    It drives me mad :mad:

So, (ha, ha, unsuitable word to start a sentence again, I'm in a cheeky mood,) I plan on making the apron into a sort of holster for the arm of the sofa. Shouldn't take too much work cos it already has a large pocket on the front! Go MK MSE ! :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • hebwood
    hebwood Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Mavvy

So sorry to hear about your dog, you have my sympathies - been there, had to do that.

I endorse what other people are saying, be good to yourself, and vent away here as necessary.

Likewise with GQ.

Thoughts and virtual hugs being sent to you, and anyone else who needs them.

H.
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mavvy so sorry to hear your fur face had to cross the rainbow bridge. My thoughts are with you xx
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, I don't believe it. Another property we're interested in (not the one near our previous aborted purchase), having been bitten once I'm now twice shy, I've just paid £6 and downloaded the title document for it. It appears to have similar issues to the one we've just pulled out of. This house is built behind another house in what was probably part of their garden. The original house appear to own the drive and we would have rights to pass across it....

Ho hum, bullet dodged there I think.

Having had another read of the title, I think I've read it the wrong way round. It's hard to work out when the names are all of people you have no idea who they are! I think it's the case where the drive is owned by the house we are interested in, and the neighbour had a right of way over it. However, further down it appears this right of way was 'extinguished' in 1982, so it looks like there may not be a problem after all.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Having had another read of the title, I think I've read it the wrong way round. It's hard to work out when the names are all of people you have no idea who they are! I think it's the case where the drive is owned by the house we are interested in, and the neighbour had a right of way over it. However, further down it appears this right of way was 'extinguished' in 1982, so it looks like there may not be a problem after all.

Might be worth paying for a legal search on that before you commit...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 October 2016 at 4:46PM
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »

GQ, I'd no idea that a property was checked out like that by the council before it was passed on to another tenant. I suppose if people aren't as conscientious as your family, it means the council have to do it themselves, which result in higher council tax, eventually?

I was going to ask you about bonfires again - accelerant, actually. Do you use any particular "product" to help the bonfire start? Does anyone else? I'm definitely getting on with cutting down this laurel hedge of mine, gradually transferring the twiglets and heavy branches to the hardstanding at the front of my house - I'll offer it to local peeps, as suggested, but I'm wondering about what's left, and other stuff I have too....

ETA - Mavvy, we crossposted, so sorry to hear things are still so tough for you :( it sounds like you're right to pull back. Sending you positive, loving thoughts.

Save
    :) There is absolutely no connection between council tax accounts and council tenancies. Different departments, different budgets, no possibility of cross-funding.

When a council property is handed back, there will have to be checks done and there may be some refurbishments necessary to bring a property up to scratch before it can be re-let. If said refurbishments are deemed as a result of reasonable wear and tear, the council landlord will absorb them and pay for them from its Housing Revenue Account (that's where the rents go).

If they are a result of accidental or deliberate damage, or the removal of fixtures and fittings, they are within their rights to bill the outgoing tenant or their estate. Whether they get the money back is another matter.

Also, if goods and refuse are left in the property or its garden, they have to be removed. This will be a two-part charge to the council; one fee for the removal (vat-able) plus another fee for the disposal of same (also vat-able). I have seen a whole house and garden clearance take 16 labour hours and be billed at nearly £2,000 before.

Councils also have to be very careful of things like lean-to buildings, sheds etc which are left on the grounds, as if they are still there when the property is re-let, they could be liable if they injured anyone and by having them there, the council is taking on continuing liability for repairs and perhaps even eventual replacement.

In certain circumstances, council inspectors may agree that some things can be left in the property, such as carpets in vgc (in pet free households) and window coverings. This is to benefit the incoming tenant, who may just keep them for a while until they can sort themselves out.

Council homes are rented unfurnished but the landlord is obviously responsible for the fixtures and fittings. HTH.

re bonfires, I don't use any accelerants. It really shouldn't be necessary at all and is potentially dangerous to you and polluting to the environment.

The key to bonfiring is to have everything as dry as possible so you may realistically have to leave things several weeks or even a couple of months or mor. The less moisture in the stuff, the easier it will ignite, the faster the burn and the less the smoke.

It's best to let the things get very dry, then make yourself a little bit of a fire bundle with crumbled newspaper, twigs and other small stuff and just set a match to it.

With bonfires, because a pile of timber can attract animals, I like to build the bonfire from scratch just before lighting it, so I know there are no little critters inside who risk becoming crispy critters.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    So sorry to read about your dog Mavvy, hugs to you. It is a sad and difficult time when or pets become so poorly and pass over the rainbow bridge.

Hugs to all who need them. Haven't done any kondoing today but I've wrapped a load of Christmas and birthday presents that will be given away tomorrow so they will be out of my way.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure