PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sugar flowers

Options
Hi everyone

Probably a silly question but just curious.

My MIL made some beautiful sugar flowers for my wedding in August 2013. They are an exact miniature of my real bouquet and therefore have a lot of sentimental value. They took her months to make.

Since the wedding they have been in a glass display cabinet (nearly 3 years now!) I have just dusted in the cabinet and they are still fine...not breaking, don't smell bad or anything. Do they go off (I am not going to eat them obviously) or do they last indefinitely? I don't to keep something that may become harmful, but equally I don't want to get rid as they are so beautiful.

Sorry if it sounds daft but I don't know much about baking/sugar work etc.

Thanks
:cool:"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith:cool:

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've still got mine from my cake 13 years on, as well as my bouquet

I've wrapped them up in the tissue paper that's acid free or something and have them stored in a box in the wardrobe. Still as good as new
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have an icing baby in a basket from my christening cake 47 years ago - it's very delicate, but still in one piece - I keep it in a box, not on display though.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 May 2016 at 4:25PM
    Options
    It depends what kind of icing they're made from - if they're hard like porcelain then they're probably made from petal paste, which when made commercially has so many additives in it that it's unlikely to go off ever. As long as it's kept dry then it'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about it - as long as the flowers haven't gone squidgy then just keep them as they are, you're not going to eat them so it won't do you any harm at all to keep them in a cupboard.

I'd worry more if they were made from fondant but as you've already kept them for so long I wouldn't think that they're made from that. I doubt it would kill you if you are fondant that was a couple of years old but it'd probably go quite squidgy after a year or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure