Bryan Carter Solicitors "dissolved"? Who have I been paying money to?!

Options
Hi, So a few years back, I set up a payment plan with Bryan Carter Solicitors. Ever since, £10 has duly been going out of my account each month. It occurred to me, that this has been happening for rather a long time, and when I find the original letter with the amount, it seems like I really must have paid them more than that by now. So, I look online, and I find a page, saying that according to Companies House, the company is dissolved. (It was a website called companycheck . co.uk.) So, questions... who have I been paying money to? Who do I contact about it? Their website seems to be down. I wanted to find somewhere to email, since I have difficulty thinking straight when I try and make phone calls (mental health stuff). Should I try to write to the address? Should I just stop the payment and see who gets in touch? I'd really quite like to see a statement on what I've been paying, since I'm sure I must have paid more than the total amount by now. Any relevant thoughts please? Thanks!

Comments

• MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If this is a solicitors, have you tried the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) website to see what the status of the practice is?
  • On_a_Shoestring
    Options
    Looking on lawsociety.org, it looks like there's not a firm named Bryan Carter. On your letter from them, there should be an SRA Roll Number. Try searching that on lawsociety.org's "pro search". If no joy, contact the SRA and explain the situation. The money will have been paid into a client account so it will have gone somewhere - and hopefully somewhere not touched.
  • PlanetMiranda
    Options
    I think I must have overpaid by now, so am hoping I can find a way to try and get that back, if so. Can you tell me what kind of format an SRA number takes please? I can see a DX number, a Registered number of OC351865. There's another number on the bottom of the letter, saying LBA_S2NLIT.COL/ I don't see anything labelled as an SRA number. Any idea what I'm looking for please?
  • PlanetMiranda
    Options
    Ok, I managed to find a section on the SRA website for this kind of thing. Here's hoping...
  • On_a_Shoestring
    Options
    I can't remember how many numbers it is but I think it's usually 6 or 8 numbers. No letters.

If you write to the SRA they should get back to you in about 14 days but if you're feeling up to ringing them they're very helpful on these matters.
  • PlanetMiranda
    Options
    I sent an inquiry via their website. Thanks for your help!
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you know who owned the debt? Bryan Carters will have been acting on behalf of their client. Have you checked your credit file? Depending on the age of your debt the default may well have been updated with the name of the current owner
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 May 2017 at 11:09PM
    Options
    Bryan carter were a part of the Lowell group.

The company has now been dissolved and renamed "Lowell solicitors".

Same people, different name.

Lowell are expanding under there own brand name.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Not sure if this is helpful, but I was paying Bryan Carter Solicitors £1 a month via standing order on a very old debt I had.

I received a letter sometime last year I believe, that stated all future payments would now go to Fredrikson International (part of Lowell Group) and I need to do nothing, as the payments will still be going to the correct account number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure