PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016

Options

Comments

• wildthing01
    Options
    dND wrote: »

I find it sad that we have been brainwashed into buying rather than creating. It's our creativity that made us and it doesn't have to be perfect; it's the action of creating more than the finished product I find. So maybe that is why MMM and NBI makes us feel better too :)

Definitely dND - I definitely feel better in and about myself when I've created or made or even fixed something myself. I always remember in our old house, every time I walked into the bathroom I got a little thrill thinking 'I tiled that - all by myself!' - it wasn't the most perfect tiling in the world, but it was pretty good and I learnt a new skill doing it!

Of course that was before I had children and had time to tile and make curtains etc!!
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello fellow MMMer's
    Minimised my hair just been for a cut before our break.
    Mend stitched a button on OH trousers and some knitting.
    Make do going to use up the last bag of the baby leaf salad I got YS on Tuesday and the rest of the veg couscous with quiche and jacket potato with coleslaw. The total meal will have only cost less than £1 for the 2 of us.
    It's another lovely sunny day here, I walked to the post office DS driving licence needed renewal its every 10 years at a cost £17 no licence until old age like it used to be. I have to have mine ever 3 years due to a medical condition but mine is free. All the gardens have their spring flowers fully out now and the sun has really opened the tulips and crocuses, this made the steep walk back up the hill a little more enjoyable and I walked at a slower pace admiring them. x
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • Lynplatinum
    Lynplatinum Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    Evening/Early morning to you folks!!

Its all been v manic here as DS has had a stream of friends round since he has been home - between Wed to Sat they have eaten - ne large pear ans cinnamon cake; 24 choccy chip muffins and packs of bisc and giant bag of jacobs cheesy biccy things! on the plus side - a new skirting board in the bathroom; new tap in the kitchen and an old pine dooor almost sanded and will be hung tommorrow! Also a breakfast out at a trucker cafe (dont thye always do the best breakfasts :D ? ) - a treat from DS and a meal from the canteen by our local Chinese supermarket - a treat from me (so nice but not posh!)
    Then today my walking friend came round panicing and needing to get an assignment in on time! Its years since i did maths at that level and now me brain hurts - i think he knows more thanme but the nagging; coffe; and someone to bounce ideas off was useful - i think - fingers crossed its enough to keep him on the course!!! :)
    make do - lots of stuff i had got on bogof or ys and stashed away to feed DS + friends
    minimise - paperwork + food stash
    mend - see above :j
    nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Feels like its been ages since I've logged in. Not a lot of MMM going on here--I mean not that we've gone made at the shops and with the takeaways, but not a lot of planned for MMM either. I'm starting the button band on my cardigan. Should be finished in time for the heat of summer :rotfl: and a couple of weekends ago I cut down some clothing--both dresses that didn't just fit particularly well anymore. One became a simple drawstring skirt and the other is now a blouse. I should get more use out of both this way.

OH has been poorly for what seems like a month now. Fortunately I haven't had it but he has had to have a day or two off work. I'm hoping he is better quickly. My dad also had a stroke a few weeks ago. Things seem relatively positive, but I'm planning to go help out in a couple of weeks and imagine I'll know more then. I'm just brainstorming a list of things to cook for their freezer at the moment.

I've kept up with screen free and we're still hitting our savings goals, so we must be doing something right even if I haven't been working at it as much at the moment. I'm still doing screen free evenings as well, which has been nice although it bit erratic with various parents evenings etc. thrown into the mix.
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning.

Hugs FPUk. That's tough to go through, and it's not surprising that you are focusing on other things than MMM, but it's interesting that you are thinking of some of the practical support being MMM,, as well as the emotional support that you are giving.

Late night back last night due to fog and delays with bags. So we got back at 1.30 instead of the civilised hour of 1030 I was expecting. Unfortunately I woke up at 630, so I may have to have a nap later!
    MMM is underway though, shopping list is prepared, a vague menu plan is done, and the first load of washing is on. I also started on the cupboard in the kitchen that has been playing on my mind, I managed to find 5, yes 5 partly used bags of dishwasher salt. OH usually deals with it so when he tells me that there isn't salt I get more, unfortunately he seems to have put the ends of the bags in the cupboard, and asked for more. I have managed to combine them into one bag and put it with the other washing/cleaning bits so that's has made a nice space.
    Interesting thoughts about the creation/doing versus consumption. It doesn't have to be perfect to get satisfaction from knowing you did something (well not for me as I am a bit slapdash - but trying not to be). I hold something in my head that I used to tell people at work - don't compare yourself against others, just compare what you know now with what you knew before you did it, and look how far you have come.

Right better get on, off to visit mum and walk her dog for her.
    S x
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Morning mmmers

Minimised another ball of wool making scbu hats last night, need to get them sewn up. Finished a book I was reading, will give that to my mum. Promised dd2 a load of paper plates for DGS birthday party next month so they will finally be out of the cupboard,
    Dinner will be a veggie creation from the YS veg we have in the fridge and a pudding of some sort from the freezer.

Promised school another knitted birds nest and pair of birds for a corridor display so will make a start on them later.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a13.5 tog quilt, I thought I would melt! Gave it to one of my daughters on the condition she took some of the stuff from her old room to her new flat, plus she had to sort out a box of stuff that I didn't know if it was for the tip or what. Whilst on a roll, I got her to take a suitcase of clothes and next time she's here there's two boxes of uni stuff to sort-good result!

I've finally got round to sorting out the spare room which had been a bit of a dumping ground. We're doing the house up room by room so the spare room had a lot of bits from other rooms that never made their way back to their original place. Massive box of stuff for the charity shop, big bag of rubbish and several lots of stuff to go in the attic. 5 hours work, go me!
  • JoJo77
    JoJo77 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Been lurking...well actually worse than that. Have read the thread from the beginning! May I join?

I'm a mum of a 15 month old. Currently living in a caravan while work is done to our house. DH is retired (family no.2 for him, and a late start for me!). Tried for a family for 9 years, bought a semi-derelict house, and found I was pregnant. Maxed our mortgage so the building work would happen asap as we were having a baby, and was made redundant whilst on maternity leave!

All this means outgoings more than income. Struggling to find part-time work that pays more than childcare after tax/fuel/etc as DH is doing a lot of the building work so can't do childcare, and to top it all off, just found out we've been on estimated bills for our electricity for 2 years (all electric as no gas and oil boiler was broken) and our new DD, wait for it, is to be £345 per month!!!!

I've been loving the thread and though I doubt it can solve my current financial situation, it can at least minimise it, and I get to feel I'm doing something practical and positive. Hoping that posting on here will keep me feeling positive

Making do - found some frozen chicken legs in the back of the freezer for our roast tonight
    Mending- nothing as I've just had the dreaded sickness bug but have a pile of sewing next to me for tomorrow
    Minimising- sorted through littlies toys and giving some to DGD who is 11 months younger and some to CS
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening All

Big hugs FPK - life is really chucking it at you at the mo :( I think you are doing amazingly well to be so positive and still Moneysaving :money: ?Nice to hear from you on here whenever you have the time me dear.

JoJo77 - welcome and wow !! That really is a financial horror story!! Folks on here have recovered from all sorts of difficulties and some continue to have to live on v little. Although it may seem like the hints and tips on here dont amount to many pennies as me old Aunt used to say 'Look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.' - if you mange to save, say £30 per month then that's almost 10% of your new (horrid) DD for fuel. I would, BTW challenge that and ask for a detailed break down of how they got that - dont take it lying down!! Energy firms are notorious for getting it badly wrong!

Well done again all you knitters and sewers for good causes!! :T I so admire you all!!
    To me, well, as the title says I ve bin off a YSing today and got 3 loaves for 9p each - big pot of yogurt for 35p - and reduced tomatoes!! Since I have DS2 + GF staying the low price food will come in v handy!
    Make do - we are going over to DS1 + GF + GDD tomorrow and I had promised a pud so I have made clafulti - a kind of ground rice pudding which you bake and top with fruit before you bake it!) Its a great user up of overripe fruit;cheap as it uses ground rice (already in stock);nutiritious as it uses v little sugar! did have to buy some ground almonds tho :cool: as I shall use those for another cake this week!
    Mend - today DS2 and I planed (by hand) a pine door ready to hang tomorrow!!
    Minimise - shed clutter!! Have got several bags ready to go to tip/cs!
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all hope everyone is ok.
    Welcome jojo, hope you find the job you want and things work out.
    Plan to plant some bulbs that are waiting today and minimise some weeds.
    Bottom fence is hopefully being replaced next weekend so want a tidy up in the garden.
    Then need to recycle all the papers from the weekend
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure