Dan
Former MSE team member

Comments

• bzd
    bzd Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

An excellent tool! I find all things tax completely baffling!

Now to baffle me further, how do gift aid donations and childcare vouchers affect my income tax? Can they be added to the calculator?

Cheers,

Ben
  • icornish
    icornish Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Can you update the calculator to support Childcare vouchers? I understand this is taken off the pre-tax salary (but is it pre-tax, post NI, or pre-tax, pre-NI?)
    3 Kids, 1 baby, 1 about to be born, 1 lovely wife, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, and 6 chickens... 1 big family!:rotfl:
  • Leverpark
    Leverpark Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I have a private pension of 7300 per annum, do I need to include my state pension in the total?
    Is that not tax free?
    I ask because I have not yet received my monthly pension payment since turning 65 this month.
  • alibeano
    alibeano Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    icornish wrote: »
    Can you update the calculator to support Childcare vouchers? I understand this is taken off the pre-tax salary (but is it pre-tax, post NI, or pre-tax, pre-NI?)

Agreed - please can these be added as we're not currently getting the full picture. I'm getting around £100 difference on the calcs.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    thank you for the checker!!! worked out DH has paid £622 too much tax!!
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • sylviesinc
    sylviesinc Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My sister is a widow and used the tool. It told her that her personal allowance was over £8000 a year but nowhere on the Customs and Excise site does it mention that widows get more allowance than the standard £6495. Is this an error on your part or theirs?
  • Sasdad
    Options
    Hi.

Although it calculates the basic tax and personal allowance, it does not take in to account your government pension which is deducted from your re calculated personal allowance after Income limit for age-related allowances has been taken into consideration.

So, if your government pension is more than your personal allowance, you will end up with a negative personal allowance.

Just thank Mr Brown.
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Options
    There is one thing confusing about this checker.

There is a drop down that says "About you" and you have to choose one. However, two options apply to me.

The two options "Male under 65" and "Under 60" both apply to me, so which should I choose?
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nzseries1 wrote: »
    There is one thing confusing about this checker.

There is a drop down that says "About you" and you have to choose one. However, two options apply to me.

The two options "Male under 65" and "Under 60" both apply to me, so which should I choose?

My overall doesn't change. But I don't contribute pensions which could change things?
  • mrkbrrws
    mrkbrrws Posts: 337 Forumite
    edited 29 April 2009 at 8:33PM
    Options
    I believe the Widow’s Bereavement Allowance stopped several years ago.

It also doesn't know how to calculate Married Couples Allowance. If you choose to tick the "Married" box and also say you are over 65 you get the minimum MCA deducted from your tax, not the correct amount.

It also doesn't ask if either partner was born before 6 April 1935, so it doesn't know if you are actually entitled.

Also for those eligible for MCA if you enter your tax code which should include your MCA the calculator will give you it twice, once in your free pay and then again by deducting the minimum allowance from the tax due.
    I am an Accountant. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an Accountant.
    All posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as professional advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback