employment tribunal

Options
hi
can anyone tell me is the cab the best place to go for free representation for employment tribunals. my husbands case has been accepted against ex employer and hearing set for 17th march.

thanks
donna
xxx

Comments

• intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CAB are quite good but what about http://www.acas.org.uk/ they will know more.
  • PeteB_2000
    Options
    you can get free help through legal aid with an employment solicitor although they cannot represent you in the tribunal he has to represent himself, they will however do everything else but represent..........(Just been through this myself)

Pete
  • donnalove
    donnalove Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    peteB_2000

if you don't mind me asking how did you get on with yours.
    did you go yourself?

thanks donna
    xxx
  • impecunious
    Options
    I've also recently been through the stress of being constructively dismissed and good luck in your in quest for justice!

The CAB is always a good starting point, but in fairness the vast majority of advisers really only give general advice and, bearing in mind their workload, it usually takes a few weeks to actually get to see someone.

If you qualify for legal aid, there is a telephone service called "Community Legal Service Direct on 0845 345 4 345" who will put you through to a solicitor who will be able to give excellent advice. I live in York and spoke to a solicitor in Cornwall! He was great, pointed me in the right direction and my case never reached the tribunal as my ex-employers caved in and paid out.

There is also a great web-site devoted to employment law. Without subscription, it will be able to give solid general guidance and also gives you the relevant Acts, so you can Google and find it out for free!

http://www.emplaw.co.uk/

But some bad news: I am 95% sure that there is NO free representation at an Tribunal, unless you are a member of a Trade Union etc. Don't quote me on this but Community Legal Service Direct will be able to tell you one way or t'other.

(Silly me: Pete's already given you that info!)

GOOD LUCK! and don't give in to the buggers!!!
    If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 6 hours sharpening my axe
  • PeteB_2000
    Options
    donnalove wrote:
    peteB_2000

if you don't mind me asking how did you get on with yours.
    did you go yourself?

thanks donna
    xxx

Hiya Donna,

They caved in before it got to the tribunal.

Cheers
    Pete
  • Rhiannon_of_Woolamai
    Options
    I'm considering taking my employer to tribunal for unfair dismissal. Has anyone any experience of these no-win no fee lawyers? or am I just better to pay a lawyer to put my case together??
    Rhiannon of Woolamai

;) Thanks!
    [/CENTER]
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm considering taking my employer to tribunal for unfair dismissal. Has anyone any experience of these no-win no fee lawyers? or am I just better to pay a lawyer to put my case together??

If your still an employee you may have to exhaust the internal greivance procedure to qualify for an EAT hearing.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Rhiannon_of_Woolamai
    Options
    Yes,
    I heard today that my appeal was unsuccessful and there is no further appeal steps internally
    Rhiannon of Woolamai

;) Thanks!
    [/CENTER]
  • digp
    digp Posts: 2,013 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    try the free rep unit at https://www.fru.org.uk but you will need to find an organisation to refer you to them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure