Honouring pre-booked holidays - is the devil in the detail?

Apologies if this comes across as a bit of a nervous ramble.

I recently accepted a new job offer after several rounds of interviews. When the Director phoned up to offer me the role, I mentioned that I had 'a couple of weeks' booked off in December and would that be okay. I was assured that they would honour that arrangement and we never went into the nitty gritty details.

Fast forward to today and I will be starting the job next week. I'm feeling a bit nervous as the HR process was a bit choppy with delays to the ID check process and some confusion over start dates (they thought I was starting on the 20th, I thought I was starting on the 27th).

A lot of this is their fault as they never clarified start dates in writing, and indeed I eventually had to hand in my notice before I even received a formal offer letter (still not actually received). I'm fairly sure this can all be attributed to the complexities of an outsourced HR function. However my new boss has handled this with rather poor grace and I now feel a little on the back foot.

I'm worried that this December leave will prove to be the next issue, as we never actually discussed the specific dates I would be taking off. It does mean that I will be in for a week and a half, away for two weeks, back for a week and then away for Christmas again.

Can I expect them to honour the initial verbal agreement, or am I potentially be at fault for not agreeing the specific dates asap?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Did you not put the holiday in your formal acceptance letter?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    you might want to review your dates if starting 27th there are only 4 weeks till Xmas you have 4.5 weeks in your list.
  • I would make contact with them to remind them before starting, drawing it to their attention as soon as possible.

I did start a job with 2 other people earlier this year who needed holiday within days off starting - one for 2 whole weeks - (accrual issues aside) it was ok.

But some places can be funny about leave and so it varies - 5 weeks on in a new job almost, at another place, I haven't even been shown how to book leave, it's clearly not their intention and the culture is people cram leave in as last as poss or with people making up dreadful stories where possible to achieve it. I think you need to get the dates known as soon as possible.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I think all you can do is mention again when you start that you have holiday booked, and that when you spoke to the director to accept the job he/she said it would be OK. Be prepared for local management not to be very happy about it, as they are expecting a new employee who will actually be there, and have probably set up a training schedule which is now being disrupted.
    The manager will probably just have to suck it up, but the reality is that the director probably doesn't have a clue about the holiday situation in the section you are joining.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Does your training involve others, either new starters or existing staff? I'd be mightily annoyed if I'd rearranged my schedule, only for you to turn up and say "oh, I mentioned I'd be off for a few weeks". Perhaps the director thought you'd be proactive in addressing the issue yourself, and not leave it to them?

I'd contact them today, at least giving them a chance to adjust plans before you turn up.
  • My husband started a new job in July, and due to the training they wanted him to do, they deferred his starting date for three weeks, so that his pre-booked holiday wouldn't interfere with the training schedule.

Irritating, as he had already resigned from him previous job, and it cost him three weeks' money, but fully understandable on his employers' part.

I don't know where you'd stand now, as there doesn't seem have been very good communications between your new employer and you, so either side could be in the wrong.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    HurdyGurdy wrote: »

Irritating, as he had already resigned from him previous job, and it cost him three weeks' money, but fully understandable on his employers' part.

He wouldn't have been entitled to paid holiday at his new job so it hasn't actually cost him 3 weeks money.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    He wouldn't have been entitled to paid holiday at his new job so it hasn't actually cost him 3 weeks money.

I read it as originally he was due to start work at the new job on the first, but had prebooked holidays from 14th-21st (dates naturally made up)
    Handed in notice to start on the 1st but new company said rather than start on the 1st start on the 22nd - therefore 3 weeks where they weren't employed by either employer, and not paid, otherwise they would have stayed working for the old employer for longer

I've also known employers paid for the prebooked holiday out of the anticipated allowance (and would need to pay back if left before building up what they've already used)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure