17 year old paid NI and tax but can't sign on for JSA

Options
Hi there my daughter left school after GCSEs last summer and has worked more or less ever since full time.

She has paid tax and NI during this time.

Her present contract wasn't renewed at the end of last month and she is having a couple of weeks to think about she wants to do. I said she should "sign on" to keep her NI contributions going and as she has paid into the system she is entitled to take from it until she either returns to education or starts work/apprenticeship elsewhere.

Apparently she can't do this until she is 18.

is this correct?

Comments

• Timberflake1983
    Options
    Looks correct according to the government website https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility
  • Thomas_The_Tank_Top
    Options
    Do you mean Summer 2016 or Summer 2017 (the one just gone).

Either way, one has to pay in to the system for two continuous tax years before one is eligible to abuse it.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    melb wrote: »
    Hi there my daughter left school after GCSEs last summer and has worked more or less ever since full time.

She has paid tax and NI during this time.

Her present contract wasn't renewed at the end of last month and she is having a couple of weeks to think about she wants to do. I said she should "sign on" to keep her NI contributions going and as she has paid into the system she is entitled to take from it until she either returns to education or starts work/apprenticeship elsewhere.

Apparently she can't do this until she is 18.

is this correct?

You misunderstand the point of JSA. It is not a savings fund that you pay into and then take from it when you fancy a few weeks off. It is for people actively seeking work, not for time to think about things.

There is an expectation that a 17 year old is either in work, training or education. I suggest she works out very quickly which one she wishes to do.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    There is an expectation that a 17 year old is either in work, training or education. I suggest she works out very quickly which one she wishes to do.
    You forgot one: Work, Education, Training or Spunging off parents :)

Parents still have an obligation to support their children at 17. And parents are the best motivator to get their kids out there and finding work or training etc.

At 17 she can still enrol in local colleges for free, get an NVQ or something relevant to the field.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    I'm quite disturbed by your attitude towards JSA. As stated, it is NOT some kind of savings account.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for all replies!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you mean Summer 2016 or Summer 2017 (the one just gone).

Either way, one has to pay in to the system for two continuous tax years before one is eligible to abuse it.
    Is this correct? Can't an 18yo claim JSA even if they have not been working for the previous 2 years?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't agree with the posters. OP talked about signing on to get NI contributions, not to get an income and I agree with them that it is another way the system penalises those working. She was working FT, so what has her age got to do with it?

Yet a few months old, never worked, but ok to sign on and get both NI contribution and an income! And then the politicians wonder why young people's motivation to work is so low!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Whether you agree with other posters or not is irrelevant. That's the law.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Fbaby for actually reading my post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts