Monthly reduction of an overdraft

Options
Hi everyone
I have an overdraft with Barclays that I would ideally like to reduce on a monthly basis so I am not tempted to use it to the limit. I have spent 30 mins on the telephone to an adviser who has told me I would need to call each month to reduce the overdraft on a monthly basis. Obviously that is not a reasonable solution as the cost to call Barclays is made at my expense. As he was unable to resolve my query after waiting for a long while I will be getting a refund into my account in the next 48 hrs for compensation for my call cost and inconvenience. This was good customer service but unfortunately I am in the same position regarding the overdraft limit.
Has anyone else come across this brick wall, or is there another way I can get Barclays to reduce the overdraft on a monthly on going basis?
Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Sandb

I'm pleased to hear that at least you will not be left out of pocket for the lengthy phonecall. Is there any scope for further conversations with Barclays to take place by web chat to avoid expense? I would also suggest going into your local branch but I realise a lot of operations are centralised nowadays.

It may be that you can force the issue by registering a complaint about the bank's insistence that you contact them each month. This may mean that your request gets dealt with by someone more senior than the member of staff you spoke to over the phone. They may simply not have had the authority to grant your request.

Please also remember that there are plenty of "basic" bank accounts available on the High Street which suit those looking to run a tight ship, while still offering useful facilities like debit cards, standing orders and Direct Debit.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/basic-bank-accounts

Regards

Dennis
    Twitter: @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Perhaps you might be better approaching this from another angle.

Instead of calling Barclays to reduce your overdraft each month, why dont you simply move your banking to another vender and relegate Barclays to being 'just another debt'. By this I mean that you simply move your banking and live within a budget there and send a monthly standing order to Barclays for however much you wish to pay to the OD. This way, you cant overspend the OD because you dont have it, and it has the same effect as reducing your overdraft monthly. Once it is paid off, simply close the account with one easy phone call and never look back.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Sandb
    Options
    Hi Dennis
    I find that services within a Barclays branch these days are few and far between. A family member recently tried to take their overdraft off of their account as it has been paid up in full but they were advised they needed to telephone to do this instead. Hence my call today. I did ask the advisor for an address to write to and was given the Leicester centralised address which I am planning to write to in the hope that their system might be more flexible.
    Thanks for your reply:)
  • Sandb
    Options
    Hi FireWyrm
    That is an option if I don't get any joy with the letter I send to Barclays. :)
  • FireWyrm
    Options
    Sandb wrote: »
    Hi FireWyrm
    That is an option if I don't get any joy with the letter I send to Barclays. :)

So, why dont you do it? Is it that you are perhaps worried about giving up the OD but you know intellectually that you dont actually need it? We all get dependent on the stupid thing and it can be quite a leap of faith to simply stop using them once and for all.

I was forever in my OD for a decade or more and I never got anywhere until I bit the bullet and just jumped to a free, no frills, no OD account and started living within that stricture.

You wont get any joy from Barclays because you request requires that someone actually looks at your account monthly, notices that you need your OD reducing and then does it. They wont do it because if they do, and they send you overdrawn, you'll raise holy hell.

The only way to make this happen the way you want is to take control yourself.

[/COLOR]
  • Million_Percent
    Options
    A word of caution. I seem to recall reading that requesting frequent reductions in overdraft can negatively affect your credit rating. I suppose it's seen as something people do when struggling to manage their money.

Might be worth looking into.
  • FireWyrm
    Options
    A word of caution. I seem to recall reading that requesting frequent reductions in overdraft can negatively affect your credit rating. I suppose it's seen as something people do when struggling to manage their money.

Might be worth looking into.

There's that...but mostly it gives the banks the heeby jeebies and they may just withdraw the entire facility without notice. ODs are payable on demand.

[/COLOR]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills