PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Working Rich Pastry Dough

Options
I'm trying to work with a very rich pastry. It is one of Richard Bertinet's recipes:
350 g flour
125 g butter
125 g sugar
2 eggs plus 1 yolk and
Pinch of salt

When it comes to working it well it really is impossible to roll!

For the moment I'm using it in tartlet tins just by adding one bit to another and filing the case that way, but of course there has to be a better way.

I've also made it more difficult for myself by making it an almond based pastry (250 g flour and 100 g ground almonds)

So what is your advice on working with really rich dough like above. Normally I wouldn't use anything as rich as this, at the moment, however, I'm trying to develop my pastry making ability so I'm playing around with all sorts of dough.

Here's where I'm at. I've made the dough, squared it up, wrapped in grease proof paper and let it sit in the fridge overnight, took it out and let it come to room temperature, lightly dusted my table and the top of the pastry and rolled gently but very quickly it started to develop large cracks

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't worry, you are not alone. I make very good, melt-in-the-mouth pastry, but it's not very pretty and never can I get it into a tin in one piece.

Try rolling it out between 2 sheets of clingfilm or baking paper. That sometimes does the trick.

Commiserations!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Eek it's a nightmare isn't it?

I find the granite worktop makes it just about doable. Keeping it cool and working fast is a must ( but yes I've patched in as well )

I think I once made the same pastry, total night mare, in and out the fridge like a yo yo. I didn't chill it over night though, only 30 mins

What I've started to do with say a quiche pastry, is not bother to chill, just roll and line being really careful not to stretch the pastry when lining the tin. Then once I've trimmed off, I use the overlap to raise the sides, !!!!! the base, then freeze for 30 mins before lining and blind baking. Seem to get a lot less shrinkage, a neater finish and crispier base
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Had a go with cling film and it is much easier to handle. That said I wouldn't want to be entering it into a competition :D.

I've two large tartlets set up at the moment I'll blind bake them tomorrow and see how they come out and how they taste
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure