Mortgage was offered but service charge dispute causing delay

Options
DarkAngelEyes
DarkAngelEyes Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 15 October 2016 at 5:52AM in Mortgages & endowments
I own a flat in a converted house and own a freehold share of managment company and I was recently successful in getting a mortgage offer. My nightmare statred when the conveyncing team wrote to another co-director to verify that there are no major work in the near future due. A dispute between the co-director and me over the way we spend our service charge and sinking fund money led me to withhold payments. No invoices were raised to me and no notice s were issued against my property to date. However, the application is held back because the conveyencing team need confirmation that no notices are raised against the property and no major work in the near future is due.
The nightmare stated when the conveyancing team wrote to the co-director. He is claiming that the building is in a mess. He also, added that it will need a massive estimated bill to repair. I beleive that he only didi this as act of spite designed to scare away the lender. Despite that I had the lender's surveyor report whom inspected the property and passed it for lending.

The other co-director also refuses to confirm the rest of the lender’s enquiries and my offer’s expiry date looming what should I do? If I take legal action it will not be resolved soon. Can you help? Can the broker speak to the lender and explain that the neighbour’s action is causing me stress. What would you advice?????

Comments

• Canary_Yellow
    Options
    I presume you've tried talking to your neighbour in person?

I don't think there's any other route that will lead to a quicker resolution.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can the broker speak to the lender and explain that the neighbour’s action is causing me stress.

You do understand the reason for the enquiry is because the lender doesn't want to end up in a similar dispute if they repossessed? So you'll need to sort this out yourself, your lender and/or broker won't want to get involved and I don't know what help you think they're likely to offer.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can you help? Can the broker speak to the lender and explain that the neighbour’s action is causing me stress. What would you advice?????
    Your solicitor is acting for your mortgage lender in obtaining the necessary documentation to prove the property is suitable security for the mortgage.

This can be resolved only by the solicitor and the freeholder.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Despite that I had the lender's surveyor report whom inspected the property and passed it for lending.

That has no bearing on maintenance work or the requirement for a sinking fund to cover major items of expenditure such as roof renewal. The surveyor is merely confirming that the property provides adequate security for the money that the lender proposes to advance.
  • DarkAngelEyes
    DarkAngelEyes Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 6:51AM
    Options
    I tried emailing and phoning but to avail. The co-director is renting his property through letting agents and they not get involve. He is a solicitor (albait a one man band working from home) but he tend to write long winded letters and make fulse claims(a bully).
    I think that his tactics and aim is to blackmail me to pay him money before he can withdraw the claims. I sought legel advice and the answer is that I have to take him to court but that means I will not meet the deadline for my offer.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's probably not what you want to hear, but from what you have written it looks like the only option you have at this point of time is to give up on the current offer and sort out the issue with the others (either though negotiation or legal action) before starting with the process again.

Good luck.
    I tried emailing and phoning but to avail. The co-director is renting his property through letting agents and they not get involve. He is a solicitor (albait a one man band working from home) but he tend to write long winded letters and make fulse claims(a bully).
    I think that his tactics and aim is to blackmail me to pay him money before he can withdraw the claims. I sought legel advice and the answer is that I have to take him to court but that means I will not meet the deadline for my offer.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I sought legal advice and the answer is that I have to take him to court but that means I will not meet the deadline for my offer.

Why are you so concerned about the expiry date for your mortgage offer? They can be reissued, your service charge dispute is more troublesome even if you weren't remortgaging.
  • DarkAngelEyes
    Options
    Can I call an EGM and request a mediator present if he refuse to cooperate?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure