Wedding Insurance

Options
My daughter has just booked a venue for her wedding and part of the conditions are that she has to take out wedding insurance. The venue is a country house hotel that has a permanent erected Marquee that is used for some parts of the wedding for 9 months of the year. This is permanently up all year and is double glazed and heated.
When looking at taking wedding insurance out I see that most insurers offer Marquee cover as an extra but when looking at the details this seems to be for Marquees being erected for the function.
We have asked the wedding coordinator at the venue if we need this extra cover and all we got was "well you can't be too careful"
Does anyone think we need this extra cover?

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    how much more is it?

I'd have it as a precaution.. you know if you don't have it you will need it.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    I was always under the impression that insurance would only cover things that were booked after the insurance was taken out.
    So in theory the insurance should be taken out before the reception arranged.

Is the venue directing you to a specific insurer or just asking you to tag it on to any insurance you purchase?

and I suppose the question is why? Do they not have their own insurance cover it and what specifically are you being asked to cover ?

I understand the term "you can't be too careful" but in my mind it sounds as if you are being asked to provide something that isn't very specific.

Wedding insurance is a very good product to take out when starting to plan a wedding and can be very reasonable in cost. However it is very worthwhile checking with a few providers to see what they actually cover.

Google wedding insurance,from memory Debenhams used to do a good basic one that I am aware many on the threads here have used. Link in to cash back sites too and it becomes even cheaper.

A few years back there was a bride on the site who planned to the last detail a beautiful winter wedding,only for it to snow very heavily and only a fraction of her guests could attend and the caterers couldn't get there either.
    She had a beautiful albeit snowy day with just a few and the photos were fabulous,but the insurance company also allowed the wedding to be re run,I believe during the summer and whilst it wasn't quite the day she had envisaged ended up with a lovely vintage tea party reception.
    I'm trying to think of her name and I think it was dragon fly if anyone remembers her.
    Hopefully like with all insurances you will never need them and you will never find out how good they are until you need to make a claim,but for a small premium they may be worth looking into.
    not compulsory but hopefully a little peace of mind.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • vickk
    vickk Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The insurance can be booked after the venue, no problem. The insurance is to cover the failure of things like suppliers, venue etc failing to supply or going bust etc. Debbenhams, John Lewis and many others all offer this cover. They all offer an extra cover for a Marquee but when reading details of the extra cover it only refers to temporary Marquees that are being supplied and erected specifically for the event.To me this Marquee is a permanent erection that forms part of the Venue and doesn't look to me as if extra cover is required
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    So am I right in thinking that this cover is exclusive to the tent,or would you still need it if you held the reception in the main building of the venue.
    The way I am looking at it the cover as you describe is not specific to the marquee as it is to cover the failure of the venue and the service it provides.

I see there being little distinction between the marquee and say the dining room.

I would be returning to the venue for more clarification so at this point I don't think you have enough information to find out if the cover is needed or worthwhile as asked in your original post.

Has the venue told you how much their extra cover is?
    If you do not take their option do you need to prove to them that you have cover?

What conditions are they actually imposing they need to be more specific
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• vickk
    Options
    Its not the venue thats providing the cover its whatever company we choose to insure with. We just have to show the venue we have taken out cover. So I suppose we should ask the insurance provider if we need the optional Marquee cover as it will be them who would decide whether to pay out in the event of a claim.
  • vickk
    Options
    Well thanks for your replies, I emailed the insurance providers and its as I thought. As the Marquee is a fixture of the venue it does not need the optional marquee cover as that is only intended for marquees erected for the function and taken down afterwards, it is to protect you against damage as technically you are hiring it, whereas in our case the marquee is a permanent fixture to the hotel and as such is covered by the hotels insurance.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    vickk wrote: »
    Its not the venue thats providing the cover its whatever company we choose to insure with. We just have to show the venue we have taken out cover. So I suppose we should ask the insurance provider if we need the optional Marquee cover as it will be them who would decide whether to pay out in the event of a claim.

It still seems a little bit vague on the part of the venue,I am surprised that they are not specifying a minimum amount of cover that is required.

There is a lot of difference between for example cover for £1000 of damage or whatever and unlimited.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• need_an_answer
    Options
    vickk wrote: »
    whereas in our case the marquee is a permanent fixture to the hotel and as such is covered by the hotels insurance.

sorry I should havr multiquoted in the above post but this would suggest that you don't need additional cover,which is the exact opposite of what the venue are saying in needing to provide additional cover
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills