Which Bank Account to open???

Options
Afternoon,

I'm in the process of declaring myself bankrupt and will be going to court next month.

I have been reading about Co-operative no longer offering bank accounts for people who have not been discharged and one of the Credit Cards i will be adding to my Bankruptcy is from Barclaycard so what are my options with regards to opening a bank account to add my pay into?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Comments

• Helpmeoutofthismess
    Options
    Hi,
    You can still open a co op cashminder account as long as you are not bankrupt yet, it's possible they will close it once you declare bankruptcy but they don't tend to as long as you only have the cashminder basic account. You can open the account over the phone, don't mention anything about bankruptcy, just say you want the account to help with budgeting.

Even though you will be putting your barclaycard into your bankruptcy, Barclays will probably still open you a basic cash card account. It comes with a debit card but you probably won't be able to have online or phone banking until your bankruptcy has been discharged 😕. Unfortunately you have to open the account in branch which I found very embarrassing as I had 3 defaulted barclaycards to my name :( to Barclays credit the lady did not mention them at all, she was brilliant.

If for any reason you don't manage to get sorted with an account or your co op one gets closed, Barclays will still open an account for an undischarged bankrupt.

Nth,

H x
  • owlet
    owlet Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can open a co-op casminder account now. Don't tell them you are goibg BR though, just say it's for budgeting or something. If you can get it open before you go BR it will be fine but they won't open one until after discharge otherwise. Co-op will allow internet ,& phone banking too.
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485 TOTAL £84
    SPC 10 (2017) # 485 TOTAL: £464.80
    SPC 11 (2018) #485
  • AircraftHandler
    Options
    I will open a Co-op one soon. I'm in the forces so can i use this account abroad as i often travel?

Regards
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi AircraftHandler

The Co-Op account normally allows you the internet banking option, which should make using it from abroad more straightforward.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 June 2015 at 7:08PM
    Options
    I'd go with Co-Op if you can get it opened in time. As others have said you get online banking etc too, which if you are monitoring your money closely will be invaluable.

Might be biased as I used to work there, but their customer service has always been outstanding too - can't wait until I'm discharged and can jump ship from Barclays!

You can use the accounts abroad but the charges aren't great - if you're going to be spending & withdrawing cash abroad etc on a regular basis, you probably want to consider a pre-pay travelex card or similar.

Barclays say they don't give online banking to bankrupts officially. After a 6 month battle involving numerous complaints and offers of 'goodwill' from them (after one of them has given it to me, and then another has taken it away!), I've found my online banking seems to have been re-activated today (I'm still technically bankrupt for another few months). Didn't even tell me about it!

Appears you can't get this "Blue Rewards" thing on a cash account though, you need a proper current account for that. Shame!
  • AircraftHandler
    Options
    Declaring bankrupt on Monday and still have not opened a bank account but hopefully will have that done tomorrow. Do you know if the co-op one does a switching service?
  • kgw1009
    kgw1009 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wondering....

What difference does it make if you are bankrupt to get online banking? Surely it would allow you to control money better with it? that is total bonkers!!!!
  • LoveLifeAgain
    Options
    kgw1009 wrote: »
    Just wondering....

What difference does it make if you are bankrupt to get online banking? Surely it would allow you to control money better with it? that is total bonkers!!!!

I think you will find Barclays give on line banking now probably a good idea for anyone to check their branch first as I do not know if this is now automatic in all branches with new BRs.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety". - Benjamin Franklin
  • jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's completely bonkers! I opened a cash card account with barclays, they were fab! And I got a bank statement posted to me every week for a year so I could keep track. You could always do that xx Once I was discharged I could online bank, just needed to take my discharge letter in x
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • AircraftHandler
    Options
    Internet banking could be beneficial but I will be using my card abroad so whatever is the cheapest way of overseas spending is what I want.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure