PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Appeal for an OS gluten free Christmas

Options
Mr Zaxdog is on a gluten elimination at the moment and I'm stumped as to what to roast for Christmas dinner. Last few years we've gone with a 3/5 bird roast but the stuffing contains gluten. Only two of us and we don't want to be eating leftovers all week so looking to you good folk for any ideas?

We'll eat any meat (except lamb) :)

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    One bird (far more OS than 5!) and make your own stuffing. Perhaps a duck as they aren't too large?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Hollyberry
    Options
    There are lots of gluten free stuffings out there: chilled from Asda or Sainsburys, or packet by Mrs Crumbles or Hale and Hearty if you don't want to make your own. Then you could choose whatever meat you like. We're having beef, and gluten free Yorkshires made with GF flour & cornflour mixed.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are only two of us here as well, but I like a proper turkey and just freeze the rest. As said you can roast whatever you fancy and do the stuffing seperate,
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We're having goose ( as we usually do) and I'm very seriously considering baking apples or poaching pears but not doing stuffing. Would consider similar with duck. I have also in the padt stuffed a goose with apple wedges and prunes. Other orchard fruits might be considered.

Alternatives also would be just to make a stuffing with gluten free bread made into crumb with fruit/ onions, what ever flavours you like and ground meat and bacon for fat rather than sausage meat perhaps?
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can get a chicken crown if you just wanted something small. Morrisons had them at £3 the other day. Nice with a bit of streaky bacon, and maybe some sausagemeat stuffing?
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • splishsplash
    Options
    You could try potato stuffing. It goes very well with turkey, goose or duck.
    Boil potatoes until soft, drain, mash, add buckets of butter and onions and lots of salt and pepper. If you want to pull out all the stops, a handful of chopped or dried parsley is good too.
    Hard to go wrong really. Stuff whichever bit you're stuffing and put the rest in a shallow roasting tin, cover in 2-3 layers of foil and bake for 30-45 minutes.

:xmassign:
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Rotti
    Rotti Posts: 232 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or just shove a pricked lemon and a bouquet garni up its bottom and have it without stuffing! Delicious especially if you cook the bird upside down so that all the juices and flavour run into the breast. Then turn it over for the last half an hour or so to crisp the skin.

A standing rib of beef makes a nice change too and you can buy as big a piece as suits you.
  • amandaatnumber7
    Options
    We're gf too,, we make our own stuffing. I take about about half a loaf of gf bread and whiz it up in the food processor, then I add fresh sage, S&P, bt of onion powder, an egg and a sml handful of dried cranberries and some pine nuts if I have picked them up on special or toasted cashews work well too.
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • Eyeore
    Eyeore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    I always have M&S ready made stuffing and sausages and even those who are non GF say they are delicious! They sometimes have GF sausagemeat. They have a lot more in their party selection that is GF this year too. Not the cheapest option but for me it is the easiest and less stressful!
    2019, move forward with positivity! I am the opposite of Eyeore :rotfl:
  • Blether
    Blether Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Stuffing with pork mince, chopped onions and sage. Asda have gluten free sausages that taste ok. Co-op ones are nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure