PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

freshen matresses

what can I sprinkle on matresses and pillows etc to freshen them up. Thanks

Comments

• susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    HAve you access to a steam cleaner which will deoderise it? I would not sprinkle anything but bicarb of soda on it.
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What I use (and it really does work!) was something that I saw on Kim and Aggie's "How Clean is Your House?" Sprinkle, and then rub in, bicarb of soda onto your mattress and pillows. Leave for about 30mins, then vacuum off. It really did make them so much fresher!

PS Thanks for reminding me, as it's something that I need to do! :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • My friend who has just bought a dyson said it was amazing what was hoovered up from the mattress, and this instantly freshened up the bed.

You could ask a friend if you could borrow one.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i use the bicarb method too if it just needs freshening up

every few months i deep clean it with my steam cleaner too
  • bicarb of soda - what I bake with?? Can you buy bigger amounts? is so where from. Thank you
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Buy a bigger one from the chemists maybe and yes try the dyson - you will be so embarrased at what comes up - skin I presume- ugh!! and my bed was really quite new too!!!

Bicarb remember not baking soda
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    tracey04 wrote:
    bicarb of soda - what I bake with?? Can you buy bigger amounts? is so where from. Thank you

Yes, the stuff you bake with :D I get a HUGE bag from my local health food shop, much cheaper than buying by the teeny tubs in the cookery section of the supermarket ;):)

Do you regularly turn your mattress and also "air" it? I turn my mattresses each season and each morning the bed is "aired" along with the rooms: open windows, pull back the top bedding and air off for 30 mins or so.

I turn the mattress by 1st flipping over sideways, then next season flipping over from top to bottom. Each time it is vaccumed. This helps with even wear and tear too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    susank wrote:

Bicarb remember not baking soda
    Forgive my :confused: but baking soda *is* bicarbonate of soda.

Baking soda is the US term for bicarb (and washing soda is the US term for soda crystals).

Baking powder on the other hand is the term used for the mix of bicarb and cream of tartar. :):)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • can you put bicar in smelly shoes also
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tracey04 wrote:
    can you put bicar in smelly shoes also

yup :)

and if you place little containers of it in rooms / cupboards etc then it will absorb odours and neutralise the air :) works very well in the fridge

wilkos sell a bag of bicarb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport