Student Council Tax /Bailiff problem

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help with my situation,

On the 6th March, I paid Equita Bailiffs £43.50 to prevent them calling at my property and seizing my goods after receiving a letter from them stating if I didn't pay my council tax they would proceed with seizing of my goods. I was told this was the minimum amount required by Equita to give me a 1 month period in which to obtain a council tax exemption form from the University of Southampton proving that I was a full time student and was therefore exempt from any council tax.

Within the 1-month period I obtained the relevant form and sent it off to Southampton City Council, who subsequently sent me a certificate of exemption.

At the time of paying £43.50 to Equita, I was told that once I had proved I was exempt from tax I could ring back and would get a full refund of £43.50. I rang a couple of days ago and was told to email them a copy of my exemption certificate and their refunds team would sort it out.

Today I received a letter from them saying they wouldn't give me a refund due to 'the subsequent costs incurred as a result of the recovery actions taken' and the fact that 'the liability order was considered outstanding'.

I feel wrongly treated as I was given the impression that the £43.50 was simply a refundable holding fee which would give me 30 extra days to prove I was a student. The person I originally spoke to said that I was effectively paying the smallest instalment of council tax possible and once I'd proved I was exempt, I could claim it back. I haven't actually paid money to Southampton City Council however, only to their affiliates, Equita Ltd.

As I'm a student, I don't really have a spare £43.50 to lose!! Someone please help?!!?

Henry.

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In all honesty I have no idea why you paid them in the first place :confused:
  • Hairybuffalokiller
    Options
    I had to, to prevent bailiffs coming over and nicking mine and my housemates' stuff!
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had to, to prevent bailiffs coming over and nicking mine and my housemates' stuff!

Speak to the council. Speak to the local councillor for your area.

The bailiffs are agents of the council.
    The council - whether they like this or want to admit it or not - are responsible for the actions of their agents
    Your local councillor is your representative in the event of problems with the council.

The bailiffs are, as normal, full of rubbish.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport