Overpaying National Insurance....?

Options
2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is nothing in that list for employers NI. The umbrella company aren't going to pay it out of their own pocket.....
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    There is nothing in that list for employers NI. The umbrella company aren't going to pay it out of their own pocket.....

It'll have come out of the difference between the amount invoiced to the client (£496) and the gross pay to the OP (£425.57), alng with any fees charged by the umbrella company.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To clarify - £496 is the total amount the umbrella receive from my agency out of which comes all deductions; that's what I meant when I referred to my 'gross'. Secondly, I'm not in receipt of any expenses.

They don't include 'ers' on my pay-slip. This is the last one I received. (Note that the total net pay is on the low side because it was processed in the same tax week as my previous pay, so I paid tax on a larger amount which I should get refunded on the next payroll.)

Gross Payments Pay (including basic pay) £379.37

Holiday Pay 35.00hrs x £1.32 £46.20

Sub Total £425.57

Total Net Pay £306.06

Payroll Analysis This Period Year to Date

Taxable Gross Pay £425.57 £12,075.21
    Tax £85.20 £382.40
    Employees NIC £32.89 £799.17
    I have no experience of umbrella companies all my workings have been with ordinary PAYE so my comments are based on this.
    In my opinion the payslip details are not really full details. There seems to be no explanation of how the £496 becomes £425.57. I assume this is to cover the employer's NI and the umbrella costs but they are not shown. The difference between the £425.57 less tax of £85.20 and NI of £32.89 is £307.48 but the net figure given is £306.06.
    Starting with the £425.57 the tax figure is correct assuming as you say that this payment has fallen in the same tax week as another payment, though whether a refund is due in the following tax week will depend on what is actually paid if anything the following tax week. The tax paid to date is correct assuming a tax code of 1100L and a week number 48 for the payment.
    As has been said the NI is a little high, about 42p. No idea why this should be, could be something to do with how the umbrella company work out NI, cannot help there, only the umbrella company or perhaps someone with more knowledge of them could advise on that. This aside you are paying virtually the same employee NI as someone on PAYE who is getting paid the same £425.57 as you. The bulk of the difference that you saw in the calculator is down to the way NI is calculated for everyone nothing to do with being paid by an umbrella company.
    I suppose the question then is if you were on PAYE would you be getting the same £425.57.
  • randomfandom
    Options
    'I suppose the question then is if you were on PAYE would you be getting the same £425.57.'

My colleagues who are PAYE take home slightly less because their holiday pay is paid whereas the umbrella roll mine up and pay it weekly. So in terms of cold hard cash, there doesn't seem to be that much difference at the end of the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure