PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Labeling food in freezer?

Options

Comments

• macpep1
    macpep1 Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I write all meals on a post it then cut it up & put sellotape over it.
    :TGratitude is the best Attitude :T
    Long Term Flylady
  • snit_girl
    snit_girl Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    Ball point pen on Ziploc bags. Never rubs off and Ziploc bags either stack into neat tiles or can be squeezed into any space.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    I buy cheap takeaway type boxes with lids from amazon, 50 for £7.50 from memory. I use a sharpie to label them and then rubbing alcohol to get the sharpie off if it wont budge. I have been bad in the past and we do have some "surprise" dinners! I once defrosted 2 lots of stir fry only to find one was with rice and the other noodles, we mixed them together and they were fine if unorthodox
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm another one voting for sharpie. It stays on fine and washes off with a pan scrubber and hot soapy water (doesn't come off in the dishwasher though).
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I put a strip of selotape on and write on that with a marker pen..no scrubbing the selotape just peels off.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    I write on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the container. I keep a list of the freezer contents in a cupboard so that I don't have to rummage in the freezer unnecessarily.

I'm with you jack. I use masking tape on the take away type boxes and peel it off when I take it out of the freezer. Any residue comes off easily in the dishwasher.

I have an inventory on the side f the microwave with a magnet. It's nothing fancy, just a handwritten list under headings: meat, fish, ready meals (mostly HM batch cooked), vegetables and miscellaneous (like bread, lemons, ginger etc). I cross things off as I use them, add in anything new that goes in and rewrite (and tidy the freezers) when it gets to look a mess.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Another masking tape fan here who also keeps an inventory in my wee household book. Cheap, cheerful and easy.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use a sharpie or a 'write4all' pen, it comes off easily in soapy water. I find that I can't re-use the plastic tubs that many times anyway as they seem to get really brittle in the freezer. I'm on the lookout for a more re-usable solution but haven't found the perfect thing yet.
  • katiepants
    katiepants Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    I use a Sharpie marker on the lids of plastic freezer boxes (we don't tend to have takeaways, so I've bought a stack of the 8-for-a-pound ones). Although the marker stays on very well in the freezer, I can still scrub it off okay in hot soapy water to re-use it next time.

I keep a written inventory of what's in the freezers and now always look at that first when deciding on the following week's menus and shopping lists. This has really worked for me - previously I ended up with a freezer stuffed full of stuff which I always meant to use but never did. Now the extra portions of things get used up within a couple of weeks and stock rotation is far better.

When you say sharpie do you mean like a whiteboard marker or is it a permanent marker?
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
  • katiepants
    katiepants Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I put a strip of selotape on and write on that with a marker pen..no scrubbing the selotape just peels off.

Does the selotape stick ok when in the freezer?
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport