PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Living On A Shoestring

Options
13»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Potatoes to freeze - do you specially cook the pots to make mash to freeze or is it leftover mash? I often throw away pototoes as they go green or sprouty..............[/QUOTE]

Yes if have a lot of spuds, (Aldi were doing 5kg bags a couple of weeks ago and it would take me a month or more to eat all that lot) and I don't think I will be able to eat them before they start to sprout, I always peel a big panful ,boil, and mash them, then when cold use an ice-cream scoop to form balls of mash and put them slightly apart on one of my DGC's plastic plates and bung them in the freezer.Once frozen I bag them up in a plastic bag, and get out, say two for eating when ever I need mash with my dinner.Put them on a microwaveable plate and defrost then heat through Instant mash when ever you need it As I live alone it saves me on boiling up spuds for just me in small potions.
  • septemberblues
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Potatoes to freeze - do you specially cook the pots to make mash to freeze or is it leftover mash? I often throw away pototoes as they go green or sprouty..............

Yes if have a lot of spuds, (Aldi were doing 5kg bags a couple of weeks ago and it would take me a month or more to eat all that lot) and I don't think I will be able to eat them before they start to sprout, I always peel a big panful ,boil, and mash them, then when cold use an ice-cream scoop to form balls of mash and put them slightly apart on one of my DGC's plastic plates and bung them in the freezer.Once frozen I bag them up in a plastic bag, and get out, say two for eating when ever I need mash with my dinner.Put them on a microwaveable plate and defrost then heat through Instant mash when ever you need it As I live alone it saves me on boiling up spuds for just me in small potions.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'm impressed! My potatoes are always going off and I throw them away usually..................................not now tho :p
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    Wow freeze onions and mash potato this great off to never chuck pototos out every again Thanks
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Margaret54
    Options
    Hi what great tips on here thanks everyonexx
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • EC12345
    EC12345 Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you make a list before going shopping? I find it really useful to keep me from buying things that I don't need.
    I like many on this board do a lot of crafts, knitting and cooking in the winter.
    Instead of buying a new book go to the library instead, chances are that you will be able to get it there - if you really like it then you can decide to buy when you have the spare cash to do so.
    Start a penny jar and put all your loose change in it at the end of the day it is surprising how much you can save this way and you won't be so keen to spend lots of loose change - but you would if you had notes.
    This year I have saved over £400 which is really useful for an unexpected bill or just paying bills or as I have done for The TV licence and Car Tax.

£400 - that's fab - well done ... :T
    Mortgage Free
    Save £5,000 in 2020[CENTER
    :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My DD gave me some left over gammon to take home on Boxing morning in between going to my youngest Dds to stay and as it was already sliced I put it into some tinfoil and froze it and shall have it with scrambled eggs for a light supper one night next week.I like to utilise my freezer as much as possible as it works more economically if full than empty.If I buy bread I always seperate it into four slice portions and freeze as I only ever have toast as a rule, and if there are rolls or bagels I buy them and freeze them as well when they are on the offer.Bottom drawer I keep for fish and HM soup.My friend bought me The Soup Bible for Christmas and I can't wait to have a go at some of them in there.I use my SC a lot in the winter for soups,stews ect which I always cook overnight so my kitchen is warm when I get up in the morning.
    I have braised beef and veg topped with Mash for dinner tonight taken from my freezer which I cooked about a month ago.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    Last night I switched my slow cooker on and made a big pot of lentil soup adding vegetables from the freezer, including onions I chopped and froze days earlier. Once I peel them, I put them in my little blender then store them in a freezer bag. I do the same with bread - instant breadcrumbs and no hassle when you need to use them.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family