Last of the final food reductions

Options
Mee
Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
edited 17 October 2016 at 4:30PM in Gone off!
Hi All,

Not sure how widespread this new practice will be, but a reliable employee tells me my local Tesco Superstore will stop doing final reductions (in a month or two time) and only reduce once or twice to a max. of probably 60%. Anything left is meant to go to 'charity'. Not sure I believe the latter bit given the tells local farmers tell me about Tesco's treatment of them.
Free thinker.:cool:

Comments

• frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our local tesco has large displays asking charities to contact them,they need to have facilities to store and cook the food safely and serve it to people.i believe they are doing two reductions a day and then anything left will go the charities.
  • thedogsmum
    Options
    Can't see the staff being too upset by this - they all seem to dislike working on the reductions. Certainly can't blame them, as they often get caught in the middle of the bun fight. It used to be fun to pop and see if you could get a bargain, or two but it's often now an organised group, just putting as much as they can into trolleys. Not sure if they sell it on, run cafes, or have very large families?
  • Mee
    Options
    thedogsmum wrote: »
    Can't see the staff being too upset by this - they all seem to dislike working on the reductions. Certainly can't blame them, as they often get caught in the middle of the bun fight. It used to be fun to pop and see if you could get a bargain, or two but it's often now an organised group, just putting as much as they can into trolleys. Not sure if they sell it on, run cafes, or have very large families?

Agree.
    I feel so sorry for staff sometimes. At my local some staff have refused to work Sundays because of aggressive customers. There are groups of two or three who buy cheap reduction to sell in their shop - staff have told me about one family business doing so. Some will try to walk off with crates of food too!

There are some (often OAPs) who only come in once a week to take advantage of final reduction who will miss out the most.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have a local Tesco but last time I was in one at reduction time I couldn't believe the scrum. The poor woman who was bringing the reduced stuff out had the security guard with her for protection!
  • Mee
    Options
    Update:

Seems they are doing 75% max now - still worth it at times. Have decamped to M&S for better reductions...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport