Giving Up My Permanent Job

Options
I’m in my late forties with 25 years of stressful work roles behind me and am looking to retire from full time work in next 3 years. I have no kids and am in a stable marriage with a partner who earns enough to pay for both of us. I left an organisation I’d been with for 15 years last year for a job I hate and which was a huge mistake. It’s causing me massive amounts of stress and is affecting my mental health.

I have discussed resigning to take up contract work but would have no job to go to (having looked for months and found nothing suitable in the permanent market). My partner is supportive of me doing this but I still feel like I might be making a mistake. I want to leave badly and am reasonably confident of finding temporary work but still can’t shake the fear of taking a risk. Advice anyone?

Comments

• ssparks2003
    Options
    However much you may hate the job it is easier to get a new job if you are in a role. Otherwise you could be sat at home for the next 6 months waiting for the right role.
  • Lancshiker
    Options
    Suppose it depends how much you hate it. I!!!8217;m on three months notice so I!!!8217;d have a bit of time to get work lined up. The problem I have at the moment is that most temp jobs are closed to me because they want someone to start straight away and they don!!!8217;t want to wait three months for me to work my notice.
  • MilduraS
    Options
    I am in a similar position. After working in admin I accepted an offer to train and work in law. I haven't been happy for a while. The stress is sky high and the market is so saturated you have to accept what you're given and be grateful. I had been planning to stick it out until I qualify in a couple of years but it's making me miserable and the idea of being stuck in law until retirement is just too depressing. I'm finding it tougher and tougher to motivate myself at work and it's got to the point that I wake up on a Sunday morning already dreading work the next day.

After months of debating it internally I finally plucked up the courage to start looking for lower stress jobs. The feedback from the last interview was that they thought I'd get bored given my current position. Other employers have rejected my applications on the basis that I'm overqualified, despite not having a degree. To make it worse, I've had no end of recruiters trying to convince me to do the same job elsewhere.

This week, with a bit of encouragement from my boyfriend and an awful critical email (directed at the entire department) from the boss, I've finally decided that I'm just going to hand my notice in next Friday without having anything lined up. It's a terrifying, giant leap of faith but I know that if I stay there any longer I could end up burning all bridges.

I don't know how awful your current job is but I have to say, the second I finally decided that I would hand in my notice it was like a huge weight came off of my shoulders. I'm finding it so much easier to ignore the power plays in management and the sly digs are just rolling off my back.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 22 February 2018 at 9:25AM
    Options
    Is it a career where work gaps are not good on the CV.

If you were planning to downsize work in 3 years anyway I would do it now.

Just bring the plan forward, the 3 month notice won't go away so whatever reservations you have now will still be there in 3 years.

A juggle of finances and you probably won't even notice

There are options to explore, try the old company and networking to let people know you will be available.

If you are seeing enough temp work now with the main issue is you can't start then resign and plan accordingly, keep looking and make your availability known, as the date gets closer you can be more engaged with the agencies.

Another option, not always easy in a lot of workplaces, is manage the stress away.

Depends on what is causing the issue on how to approach a solution.
    Often the first step is realising that you will be leaving if not now in a couple of years so not your problem.
    (see it worked for MilduraS)
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I've given up permanent jobs a couple of times without anything lined up. The last time because I realised that the Sunday evening work dread was kicking in on Saturday morning. I've never regretted it but I've always had the security of savings and enough positive experiences of job hunting to feel confident about finding work. I'm now self employed and I can actually enjoy Sunday evenings. The Antiques Roadshow theme tune no longer triggers a stress reaction.:D

Life is a finite thing and far too short to stick at something that's making you ill. It doesn't sound like there's much of a risk involved given your circumstances (if any?). From what you've told us I can't really see why you're hesitating. You honestly do have the right to be happy.:)
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You're not taking much of a risk if your partner earns enough to support you both, and would support what you're doing.

You say you're worried about making a mistake, but what kind of mistake? Sounds like you'll be OK materially. If you think contracting might harm your career prospects, realistically you might be looking at retirement in around ten years anyway, so do you really want those years to be stress filled?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you want to go contracting and are serious about it, then chances are you're going to have to make that leap of faith as most companies are expecting contract staff to be available at a weeks notice at most.

I did it. Once i resigned i started applying in earnest for contract roles, checking the sites daily. Took about 4 weeks to get sorted which was a cheek clenching experience at the time.

I'd ensure you've enough to comfortable cover your outgoings for 3 months, then give it a go. If you cant get any contract work in that time, then your fallback position would be to look for another permanent position perhaps at a lower pay (but one you would be happy in).

I've wholly enjoyed the last three years contracting. The money is great, no stress or hassle worth talking about and plenty of variety of work.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Options
    I gave up a reasonable job in 2014 as the job and commute was so stressful. I didn't have another job to go to, I just worked my notice and left. I was in my late 40s then. Best thing I ever did. I temped for 2 years and I was lucky to get some good, long term temp roles and a permanent job offer from one of the places I temped at.

I got some great temp roles in the charity sector, construction sector and energy sector and having spent 17 years working in financial services, the roles were like a breath of fresh air. All local jobs so no nasty commuting and got my health back both mental and physical plus quality of life. The pay wasn't great but with low commuting costs, I managed. I learned new skills and did roles I never thought I would ever consider and made some new friends along the way!

I say go for it and take the risk.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    I would like to echo the same as above. Life is so short. Try to enjoy it whilst you have your health and that means having the courage to walk away when something is intrinsically bad for you.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your husband is in a secure job and earns enough to keep you both ticking over and your health is suffering in the job you are in, resign

Then take a breather, get your health back, then decide where to go from there

I did the same aged 36 and haven't regretted it for one minute

So what that I don't have a career, I have my health and a good work/life balance that many of my peers are envious of
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure