PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 2017 mega index/christmas chat!!!! Yes, it's early I know :)

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm enjoying this thread and looking forward to celebrating vicariously through you guys! I'll be filling my niece's advent calendar and sending cards with small gifts to friends I haven't seen for an age...but that's probably it. I shall be knee high in packing boxes, my Christmas decorations needn't be and added extra.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've put a hold on Xmas stuff as I'm really toning it down tgis year especially as the kids are getting older (8&4) so they have stuff they choose more than just what I find. I'd rather they both had a small pile of great presents that get loved and used rather than stuff I'm charity shopping in a few months time!

We have had birthday in he last few months and there is so many toys still in the house! I'm going to do another couple of charity bags for older unused stuff then look at what is wanted and needed for Xmas as it's crazy the amount of stuff they have. We have a big family so they get loads of presents, so I'm sure we don't need to buy even a quarter of the stuff we do! I'm going for quality and use this year with a couple of wants from the Santa list and THATS IT!! We are in our new home this year with a bigger mortgage and lots of work to do to the house it's just conpleatly crazy to go mad for one day!

My health is not great and winter is really hard for me I'm hoping for relaxation and less stress!

We always go and see the pants on NYD and I'd love to have more Xmas experiences and less stuff!

Hope everyone's shopping and prepping is going well - I will come back when I have made a list!
    Living the simple life
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tink_04 wrote: »
    We always go and see the pants on NYD

OMG, that made me laugh, pantomimes, I assume?:rotfl:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Was looking at GH recommendations and the Favorina (Lidl brand) marzipan stollen bites are on that list. Can I hold out until December, I wonder? I promised myself a single pack of mince pies and no more this year :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Haha yes sorry Panto ������
    Living the simple life
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry I know it's late but I have just ordered two toys from Ar*os and one from Ama*on. Whoo hoo ! that makes 4 . ( one arrived earlier in the week ). I have also bought some mince pies bb date - end of Nov. They'll be lucky to get to the end of this week :rotfl:. Will be going to town tomorrow so will see if I can cross anything else off my list.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi All - having lost my job due to illness, I'd really like to make a little family hamper for each of my brothers and sister - money is an tight - so thinking homemade/poundland,range,home bargains etc

any ideas to start me off?
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    donnajt wrote: »
    Hi All - having lost my job due to illness, I'd really like to make a little family hamper for each of my brothers and sister - money is an tight - so thinking homemade/poundland,range,home bargains etc

Can't offer much advice myself, but wanted to say I am in a similar boat. My contract at work isn't being extended and I will be out of work on the 26th and at this moment in time I don't have anything confirmed lined up.

I am wondering whether I should suggest to my siblings we don't get each other presents this year, or impose a small budget? I just feel bad because I love getting presents for people, and I don't want them to think I don't care.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options

First of all I would say, work out how much you can afford for the gifts, and also what each person likes etc.

Some ideas for you. Mini products eg in Boots they have some shampoos, bubble baths, mini toothpaste on offer at the moment . You could also buy a large box of tea bags and split one pack between each hamper. Packs of multipack chocolates too.

Good luck with making your Hampers .
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Add charity shops to your list!....Some of my absolute favourite gifts have come from charity shops/second hand places (I collect books - out of print some of them)...last year I found a delightful wooden ornament for Mum for just a couple of pounds....for the children, books, games and jigsaws can be picked up (just check the condition...some charity shops accept jigsaws with a piece or two missing!!!!...but this will usually be labelled)

If you have 'The Works' near you, then now is the time to start hunting there.....earlier on this thread I mentioned the bargain calendars and diaries....they also have some really good books, art materials and children's games.

It is almost time for the shops to clear the shelves and place the Halloween and Bonfire specials out ...followed in early November by Christmas stuff....so right now is a good time to look for clearance bargains as shops will get rid of items cheap when clearing the shelves...Our W H Smiths have a shelf of offers on felt-tip pens and pencil-cases (left over from the Back To School shelf)

You can get a lovely selection of bath/beauty products from a Pound Store...including some decent brands....also, if there is a gardener amongst the adults you are buying for, I have been reliably informed that the Poundland gardening tools are excellent vfm!

And I will often buy a £1 pack of candy canes ...and some of the cheap chocolate coins...maybe a small Choc Santa/Snowman..and attach a couple of pieces to a cheap present for a child, it makes it look more exciting and Christmassy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure