Nhs avc

Options
I have a small avc with Prudential (approximately £12000) and I am having great trouble in getting my money from them. I requested to take 25% and put the remainder in drawdown but they told me I need to have at least £25000 in my pension pot to be able to do this. I then asked to transfer to another provider ( with whom I have a draw down facility) but I can only do this if I take an annuity with them. An annuity is out of the question because of my small pension pot. I can take the whole pot at once but this will mean me paying tax, which I want to avoid. Is there any other way I can take this pension? Every time I speak to them I am told something different. They didn't even reply to a letter I sent. I am now going down the complains route.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I requested to take 25% and put the remainder in drawdown but they told me I need to have at least £25000 in my pension pot to be able to do this.

That is correct with their in-house non-advised product. It has a minimum. Mainly as most people with that sort of amount would go for full encashment or transfer to consolidate with other pensions.
    I then asked to transfer to another provider ( with whom I have a draw down facility) but I can only do this if I take an annuity with them.

That is the case if you have asked Pru to pay the 25%. It is called the open market option. However, you dont have to buy an annuity on full transfer. This appears to be a misundertanding.
    I can take the whole pot at once but this will mean me paying tax, which I want to avoid.

Will you be paying the same rate of tax on the drawdown?
    Every time I speak to them I am told something different. They didn't even reply to a letter I sent. I am now going down the complains route.

Remember that they do not hold the regulatory permissions to give advice or opinion or discuss potential solutions that may exist in the marketplace. They can discuss their own product range (but not advice or opinion on it) and they order take from what you or your adviser tells them.

Just ask them for pension discharge forms.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • woolly_wombat
    Options
    Nellie23 wrote: »
    They didn't even reply to a letter I sent. I am now going down the complains route.

Good. Please let us know how you get on.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You might approach Hargreaves Lansdown to enquire about a transfer out of the AVC.

If they are willing, they would organise the transfer into a SIPP and you would then be in a position to take the 25% and draw down as suits you.
  • Nellie23
    Options
    I have now taken a SIPP with HH and asked them to move my Prudential pot into it. Unfortunately Prudential do not do electronic transfers (!) so I am now waiting for pension discharge papers from them. In the meantime I have received a letter from them saying they are investigating my complaint, which will be interesting as I haven't officially complained to them yet. I only told the adviser that I would now need to go down the complaints route and I thought I would receive a form to fill in. I wonder how much longer this is going to take.
  • Nellie23
    Options
    Now all sorted! Pension pot with Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP and £100 from Prudential for the bad service I received. Result!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure