PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

soup maker

Options
2»

Comments

• DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use a pressure cooker for soups, makes them in minutes, then blend with a stick blender.
    Slightly bitter
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I managed with a pan and potato masher and then a stick blender for 50 years and then got poorly and would forget the pan was on and poor gr made using the stick difficult (soup up the walls lol). I bought a soup maker and we love it. It makes 6 portion for us, either 3days of lunches or tubs for the freezer, great when I find YS offers.

(Should read poor grip!)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • cliffsgirl
    Options
    I've got a soup maker and it's brilliant. Put everything in choose chunky or smooth option and switch it on and forget about it till it's done. Makes lovely soup we use it all the time. When I bought it my partner scoffed saying what a waste of money, what's wrong with a saucepan but now he even admits it's one of the best things we ever bought.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    I managed with a pan and potato masher and then a stick blender for 50 years and then got poorly and would forget the pan was on and poor gr made using the stick difficult (soup up the walls lol). I bought a soup maker and we love it. It makes 6 portion for us, either 3days of lunches or tubs for the freezer, great when I find YS offers.

(Should read poor grip!)
    That's why I use the food processor rather than the stick blender. ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • AElene
    AElene Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    I've never used a soup maker, but if you're pushed for time it sounds like a time-saving gadget, so may be useful for you?

Soups are really easy to make in a saucepan, just fry some onions and garlic and veg/meat, then add your stock, simmer till cooked, season and blend if required.

(I would love a food processor but the budget will only stretch to a stick blender at the moment!)
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    there's been lots of discussion in this older thread too.

let us know what you decide!

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Instant pot for soup. I wouldn't mess around with a task specific piece of equipment. I also wouldn't buy a cheap immersible (stick) blender. I did that once and it melted in my mushroom soup!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    If soup makers were cheaper I'd have bought one to try it. I seem to have a problem with veg/water ratios. My stick blender always seemed to have the soup too watery and the one time I tried the slow cooker instead of a pan, it was even worse. I didn't replace my stick blender when it broke for this reason, as I wasn't using it for anything else. I bought a worktop blender instead (just cheap one) and better results are got, but that's by straining a lot of the water off before blending it.

Use the tiniest amount of water, just covering the veggies, and just have the kettle boiled ready in case you need to add any more liquid. I don't use fat/flour to thicken anything and don't use dairy, so I normally stick a potato into the veggies to add an element of starch and a richer texture if I'm not adding pulses, pasta or grains.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm another one who favours a large saucepan and a stick blender and I make a wide variety of soups during winter months. Our butcher often provides a bag of chicken carcasses for making stock which vastly improves the flavour and texture and I use an old fashioned pressure cooker to speed up the stock making process.
    We often eat chunky soups but the stick blender is used for making batches of soup for the freezer. I freeze these in plastic one pint milk bottles which store well in the freezer without the risk of bags bursting, and these store two generous portions. To thaw, if you don,t have a microwave, just take the plastic bottle out of the freezer and immerse in a bowl of hot water for a couple of hours.
    Have learnt the lesson that too many kitchen gadgets just take up storage space in cupboards which could be put to better use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure