Nearly there!

Options

Comments

• January20
    January20 Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The worst and the best thing I did was to tell nobody. It was the worst because I have a couple of rather well-off friends who would expect me to be able to go on as many outings as they wished with them, as though money was no object and I've had to be clever about my excuses, but it's also been the best because nobody has been able to tell me "you can't afford that!". It's such an annoying thing on a diet isn't it? "I thought you were on a diet? " I didn't want that with my finances. Plus I was rather (still am) rather ashamed (I know I shouldn't but....).

I'm fine about it all, very positive but I'm quite impatient lol!
    LBM: August 2006 £12,568.49 - DFD 22nd March 2012
    "The road to DF is long and bumpy" GreenSaints
  • GreenSaints
    Options
    I never said anything to anyone in 'the real world' it was on here. Having said that, I totally admire those who are totally focused on it - I just couldn't do it.

Don't be ashamed of your debt. You can't time travel and reverse what you did (if you can, please let me know! :p) so you have to get on with it (which you have) I say this to my BF, who is slowly getting his head out of the sand

A lot of people will be amazed at how much you have cleared, more than the original debt in the first place :)
    :DDEBT FREE SINCE 25.07.14! :D
    Debt at Highest (November 2010) - circa £40k
  • January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Never mind me, you have done amazingly well too! All that debt repaid this year!

You know, it doesn't matter how much it was, how long it takes to clear, as long as we learn something along the way. I have learned a lot. I am in control of my finances. I know I am willing to work hard to earn money. I know I can save and most importantly, I now know I can live without a credit card, as material things don't really make me happy, well not as happy as other things in my life.
  • GreenSaints
    Options
    But I have way more debt to clear than you! :p But thank you - I have to keep looking at my spreadsheet to believe it and also see how much money I've made from eBay from tat I've bought over the years!

Living without a credit card is the best thing. It's a major achievement itself :)
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't had debt on a CC or similar but after I left my marriage I had to take out a loan over 5 years so that I could keep my house.

I did without a lot of "fripperies" and repaid it over 3 years instead of 5.

You'll have such a good feeling owing nothing. :D
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    GreenSaints, I found it quite scary when I "closed" this last CC account when they wanted to increase my interest rate, as CC were like a safety net, but so far it's been ok.

Lilac_Lady, you get used to doing with the fripperies, don't you? You realise that actually there are a lot of things that are not necessary. I only buy stuff that I really want or really need. It's got to the point where spending £5 is a major decision lol!
  • GreenSaints
    Options
    January20 wrote: »
    GreenSaints, I found it quite scary when I "closed" this last CC account when they wanted to increase my interest rate, as CC were like a safety net, but so far it's been ok.

Huh? That confused me :o They wanted to increase your interest rate?! That's a bit unfair!

I'm having a shocking month - why isn't it pay day yet?! :(
  • January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Huh? That confused me :o They wanted to increase your interest rate?! That's a bit unfair!

I'm having a shocking month - why isn't it pay day yet?! :(

It was my Egg card. I had been repaying at least £200 every month and obviously they thought they weren't going to make enough money from me so they sent me an email to say that they'd looked at my account and how it was managed (I was incensed by that!!) blah-dee-blah-dee-blah... and they wanted to add 2% or I could close the account and carry on paying my balance off at the existing rate! Well, what was I going to do??

Yes why isn't it pay day yet! I had a shocking month too.
    A VERY expensive meal for a leaving do (£50+ I'm still recovering!).
    A parking fine (my first ever lol)
    Car tax to be renewed (had forgotten)
    but I had a work Christmas do last night and spent the grand sum of..... £3.70 lol!(meal had been paid for over the last 2 months).
    Mind you it's reminded me of why I don't normally go to these occasions: you pay about £25 for a mediocre quality meal and realise that you spend the evening talking about work with your colleagues because frankly you have nothing else in common! I'll save myself the money next year! Will put a reminder in my diary :rotfl: "Do not be weak, say NO to Christmas parties"!!
  • January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    When is you payday GreenSaints? Mine is on 30th. Less than 3 weeks :-) but it seems like forever since last payday as I get paid on the last Friday of the month.
  • GreenSaints
    Options
    That's outrageous! Close it and get rid! I didn't even know they could do that!

My pay day is on the 15th and I'm desperately on the limit before hitting my overdraft! :(

I dislike work do's too for that same reason. I'm going to the work lunch next week but that's it. I was looking at the menu and most of the food was so expensive for what it was. So I kept searching the menu and found a panini and chips for £5! :D

I've got an expensive week next week - I have to go to another office which is 80 miles away for 3 days! Something I didn't need - so I'll need to get my expenses in sharpish!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family